Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/12 18:36:24 UTC

TUSCANY-1379 and incremental updates to SCA contributions

As part of looking at TUSCANY-1379 I've added a new webapp distribution
module that supports using multiple SCA contribution jars and hot update of
those jars so you can modify the contribution jar and the changes are picked
up without having to restart the webapp. Its not in the build but you can
manually build distribution/webapp (or there's a prebuilt war I'm using at
http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/tuscany.war). Its also got a very
trivial web interface that shows the current active components, go to:
http://localhost:8080/tuscany/. To use it you just drop your SCA
contribution jar's into the sca-contributions folder within the webapp and
they should get picked up and installed right away, eg the Tuscany
sample-calculator.jar or helloworld-ws-service.jar work. Once installed you
can use something like winzip to edit the contents of the jar's and the
changes should also get picked up.

Playing around with this highlights lots of problems, there's TODOs around
the code about some of them, but one issue is the way the runtime and
contribution service currently uses a single class loader so if you try to
update and stop/start a single component or contribution the changes don't
get picked without restarting the entire SCA domain to use a new class
loader. I wondered if this class loader issue is something that might
already be being looked at with all the other work going on right now in
this area?

   ...ant

Re: TUSCANY-1379 and incremental updates to SCA contributions

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
Ok I just read spec section 1.10.2 about contributions and import/export, it
sounds like the runtime shouldn't be using a single class loader then but
separate class loaders for each contribution, right? This seems to me like
it should be fixed before we worry about TUSCANY-1379 as there doesn't seem
much point trying to stop/start individual components if it doesn't do
anything till the domain is stop/started. How about i go look at fixing this
first, what do people think?

   ...ant

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
Hey nifty! I just tried it, thats really good.

   ...ant

Posted by Ignacio Silva-Lepe <is...@gmail.com>.