Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/11 13:52:48 UTC

vote: Remove javadoc2 for 1.8?

Hi all,

In an effort to start trimming the deprecated fat from Ant for the
next release, I'd like to propose that the <javadoc2> task bin
consigned to the dustbin of history and the docs be updated.

My rational for this:
- personally I've never used it
- it's been deprecated since before I started looking at the source
(so at least 2 years, but probably longer)
- I can't even find the code in the source tree

Given these factors, I think it's time to remove it (even if it's just
an erroneous bit of doc)

Remove deprecated javadoc2 and associated documentation:
[ x ]yes (my +1)
[ ]no

Thanks
Kev

Re: vote: Remove javadoc2 for 1.8?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.
Kevin Jackson wrote:
> I think that tasks that have been deprecated for more than 2 minor
> releases should be removed - people have had 2+ years to stop using
> these deprecated tasks (except style), so we should consider removing
> them now.  My thinking is similar to yours in that if something was
> deprecated in 1.4.x, by 1.6.x it should be eligible for removal.

+1 on that. DocBook works this way.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
       http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

Re: vote: Remove javadoc2 for 1.8?

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
This is a handy list

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>.
Hi

I once tossed in an attempt to get rid of several deprecated tasks /
attributes, which was declined in the end.

I'd appreciate if we could set some documented policy on how we would
like to handle deprecated
1) tasks / attributes as used in the build files.
2) methods and classes usable by plug ins for ant.

This instead of regular votes on separate tasks / attributes.

[...]

I'd like to see some other proposals before tossing a vote.

Martijn

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In an effort to start trimming the deprecated fat from Ant for the
> next release, I'd like to propose that the <javadoc2> task bin
> consigned to the dustbin of history and the docs be updated.
>
> - I can't even find the code in the source tree

<javadoc2> is an alias for <javadoc>.

Stefan