Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/26 17:49:11 UTC

[Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Hi all,
I just commited some documentation (still at the maven 1 structure
though) and a patched up build script that generates binary and source
distributions for the XMLSchema.
Since the last XMLSchema release hardly had any documentation and due
to the fixing of several crucial bugs (such as errorneous
serialization of the schema in JDK 1.5) I propose
we do a commons XMLSchema 1.1 release.

here is my +1 for the XMLSchema 1.1 release.
--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 from me too!

Sanjiva.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1 for 1.0.1.

Lawrence Mandel

"Ajith Ranabahu" <aj...@gmail.com>
03/28/2006 12:37 AM
Please respond to
commons-dev@ws.apache.org

commons-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
I also think we have to have different version number since you have
fixed some bugs and update the document so here is my +1 for the version
number.

Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Hi,
>Cool, I'm ok with the version number 1.0.1 (and frankly I'm thinking
>that Jeremy has a point and 1.0.1 would be a better number than 1.1)
>
>Ajith
>

>On 3/27/06, Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm interested in the reasoning about using 1.1 for small bugfix
>>release (including extra docs). I think v1.0.1 would be more fitting.
>>IMHO a v2 would likely include very significant new function or maybe
>>even a rearchitecture. v1.1 should contain new function and v1.0.1
>>would include bug fixes, doc updates etc. Users of v1.0 not requiring
>>new function would likely upgrade to v1.0.x quite readily in the
>>knowledge that only bugs have been fixed and no new (potentially
>>disruptive) functional changes have been made. Most projects in my
>>experience do it like this ... eg Axis
>>
>>So I'm +1 for a release. But maybe call it v1.0.1.
>>
>>Thx,
>>Jeremy
>>
>>On 3/27/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>>

>>>+1.
>>>
>>>Sanjiva.

>--
>Ajith Ranabahu

Deepal
~Future is Open~

Re: [Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Does the documentation work under Maven 2? I'd really like to be able to
release via Maven 2 as it does some of the hard work for us and it also
deploys to both m1/m2 repositories.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: [Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
+1

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: [Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
>The only way to provide management is for you to step up to doing more
>work for them :-).

Understood and agreed. As I'm quickly learning, this is the Apache way. I
don't have the time so I will follow the current arrangement.

>in WS land you have the authority to just do it (like Nike).

I must admit that this is pretty sweet for WS projects. I think we should
take this line as the WS slogan and place it on every web page :)

Lawrence Mandel

Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>
03/28/2006 11:43 AM
Please respond to
commons-dev@ws.apache.org

commons-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 02:32 -0500, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
> Thanks for the response Sanjiva. The development model is not really
> frustrating but, like I said, is a bit concerning as there is no
> management of a project that Woden is dependent on. I can see how this

The only way to provide management is for you to step up to doing more
work for them :-).

> model can be useful for these common projects as they seem to be
developed
> on an even more volunteer (as you have time or find bugs) basis. Being
> relatively new at this I'll play along for now and see how things go.

Cool. Please don't translate "it ain't managed" to "its a mess" .. just
send notes to the appropriate -dev list when you want something and it
can/man happen. If you *really* want something to happen, then at least
in WS land you have the authority to just do it (like Nike).

> As far as what's new in the release, I'd like to see a high level
overview
> of what's changed in the release in the post that calls for the vote.
This
> will allow those of us that haven't been following that closely to at
> least get an idea of the big ticket items in a release and a better
> understanding of why the project should be released at this time. We can

> then follow up on issues we're really concerned about in Jira.

+1; this is a fair request!

Sanjiva.

Re: [Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
[...]

03/26/2006 09:24 PM
Please respond to
commons-dev@ws.apache.org

commons-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 18:26 -0500, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
> This may just be because I'm used to a lot more structure working at
> Eclipse but I'm a little concerned with the lack of management of the WS

> commons projects.  (I haven't voted -1 because I know I don't have the
> time to back up my request by filling this role.) The previous release
of
> XmlSchema was only a month ago. Instead of releasing new versions when
we
> feel like it I'd like to see a set release schedule or at least a set of

> new features that will be in the release. How about creating a milestone

> plan and declaring the current state and milestone 1 for the next
release?

Sorry Lawrence it doesn't work like that in Apache. We don't set a plan
and have someone cracking the whip to execute the plan. Developers who
care about a codebase and want to improve it work on it because it
scratches an itch. Dan pushed 1.0 thru because he wanted it for XFire.
Ajith is pushing 1.1 as there are some fixes that Axis2 would like to
depend on.

There is also the mantra of release early, release often. We don't
always keep to it but general wisdom is that its healthy for a project
to release early & often.

> As a start, can you detail the several crucial bugs that were fixed and
> why a release of XmlSchema is required at this point rather than just
> continuing on with daily snapshots? Is another project relying on this
> release? What benefit is there to declaring 1.1 at this point?

Main benefit is that Axis2 could depend on an improved version. You
certainly have a right to ask to see what bugs have been fixed .. I
assume you've already checked SVN and/or JIRA of course.

I can imagine this kind development model is frustrating for you .. but
that's the reality in ASF style development. You may want to check out a
recent thread on the same topic on axis-dev (and synapse-dev).

Sanjiva.

Re: [Vote]New release of XMLSchema

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
[...]