Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com> on 2018/02/06 17:53:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] 26 Unit tests failing regularly

I see that the regularly failing unit tests on the master branch is slowly
climbing up and its close to ~26 now. Many of these don't seem to be
"flaky" test
failures since they are consistently failing for a while with the same
error message. Some of these can be fixed by a simple q.out update while
some need investigation to fix.

Can the component experts please take a look at these? We have tons of
active contributors, may be some of us each can take up one of these. I am
afraid if we are seeing the beginnings of broken window theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory> (okay I probably
overdid it :P) and people are slowly getting immune to these test failures.

One example is seen below:

org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestAccumuloCliDriver.testCliDriver[accumulo_queries]
(batchId=240)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver[auto_sortmerge_join_2]
(batchId=49)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver[mapjoin_hook]
(batchId=13)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver[ppd_join5] (batchId=36)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver[row__id] (batchId=79)

org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestEncryptedHDFSCliDriver.testCliDriver[encryption_move_tbl]
(batchId=175)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapCliDriver.testCliDriver[llap_smb]
(batchId=152)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.testCliDriver[bucket_map_join_tez1]
(batchId=172)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.testCliDriver[insert_values_orig_table_use_metadata]
(batchId=167)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.testCliDriver[llap_acid]
(batchId=171)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.testCliDriver[llap_acid_fast]
(batchId=161)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.testCliDriver[resourceplan]
(batchId=164)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.testCliDriver[sysdb]
(batchId=161)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniSparkOnYarnCliDriver.testCliDriver[bucketizedhiveinputformat]
(batchId=180)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestSparkCliDriver.testCliDriver[ppd_join5]
(batchId=122)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.control.TestDanglingQOuts.checkDanglingQOut
(batchId=221)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.TestTxnNoBuckets.testCTAS (batchId=280)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.TestTxnNoBucketsVectorized.testCTAS (batchId=280)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TestOperators.testNoConditionalTaskSizeForLlap
(batchId=282)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.TestDruidRecordWriter.testWrite (batchId=256)
org.apache.hive.beeline.cli.TestHiveCli.testNoErrorDB (batchId=188)
org.apache.hive.jdbc.TestSSL.testConnectionMismatch (batchId=234)
org.apache.hive.jdbc.TestSSL.testConnectionWrongCertCN (batchId=234)
org.apache.hive.jdbc.TestSSL.testMetastoreConnectionWrongCertCN (batchId=234)

Re: [DISCUSS] 26 Unit tests failing regularly

Posted by Prasanth Jayachandran <pj...@hortonworks.com>.
TestOperators failure is covered in HIVE-18653<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-18653>

Thanks
Prasanth

On Feb 7, 2018, at 9:01 AM, Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>> wrote:

Thanks Eugene, Deepak and Sahil. I will take a look at the TestSSL ones.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Sahil Takiar <ta...@gmail.com>>
wrote:

I can take a look at the Spark and Encryption ones.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Deepak Jaiswal <dj...@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:

I already have JIRA for
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.
testCliDriver[bucket_map_join_tez1]

Will pick up these two,

--
Sahil Takiar
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] 26 Unit tests failing regularly

Posted by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sahil Takiar <ta...@gmail.com>.