Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2019/03/13 10:57:18 UTC

[PROPOSAL] use git branches for large or risky changes

Hey all,

PROPOSAL:
"Rather than ask contributors to squash everything into a single commit and
our committers to merge it all at once, we should suggest the use of git
branches for development which occurs over longer periods or larger line or
file counts.  The branch should be named after the Jira ticket it
corresponds to."

This would have the following advantages:
* make it possible for other contributors to collaborate on larger changes
that aren't yet ready for primetime.  By choosing a finer granularity of
collaboration, we would enable smaller contributions, and better engage our
more casual volunteers.
* bring the development process to Apache infrastructure earlier, which
would provide more complete data for proposals to make a contributor into a
committer.
* provide more satisfaction to contributors: they get affirmation on each
step of their process rather than getting that affirmation only once at the
end. [1]  Psychology research shows this is a more motivating and kind way
of giving feedback.
* make it easier for me, personally to follow the development process
retroactively.

If y'all don't object to my proposal in the next 72 hours then I'm going to
start applying it.

Best Regards,
Myrle

1.) https://upraise.io/blog/frequency-key-successful-performance-management/

Re: [PROPOSAL] use git branches for large or risky changes

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Excellent.  I'm going to call that a consensus.  On that basis, I've
created a branch for FINERACT-614, pulled in angelboxes changes and closed
this PR: https://github.com/apache/fineract/pull/465

Best Regards,
Myrle

Posted by Nikhil Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.