Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Raghuveer Kancherla <ra...@aplopio.com> on 2010/08/04 09:52:42 UTC

Couchdb as a document server

Hi,
My application requires managing a very large number of small documents (I
expect 2 to 3 MM docs 30kb each). There is a lot of are advice on the web
against saving these on the file system.

I am planning to use couch db for this with a backup on amazon s3. Please
let me know if anyone tried to use couchdb as a file server and their
experience with it.

PS: I tested mongodb, but I got errors that I am not able to replicate
again.

Thanks in advance,
Raghu
website: http://raghuveer.info

Re: Couchdb as a document server

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Typed on glass.

On Aug 4, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Raghuveer Kancherla <ra...@aplopio.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> My application requires managing a very large number of small documents (I
> expect 2 to 3 MM docs 30kb each).

This should be no problem at all for CouchDB to handle. You may have an even easier time backing up to another CouchDB, than s3, as CouchDB replication is designed for that.

Google for CouchDB binary attachments to see how to best store these files.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by 7zark7 <7z...@gmail.com>.
It works great for this.

Only caveat is if you need file paths that contain many nested "directories" containing the / character, you may need something in front of CouchDB to encode paths.

Also pull replication will (currently) work much better than push replication.  I've been unable to get push replication to work properly with DBs with many attachments.