Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/07/10 18:15:36 UTC

Re: Fwd: [Axis2] "optional" value for the enableMTOM and enableSwA configurations

Hi Thilina:

IMHO, it would be nicer if enable="true" did the behavior you describe
as "optional", and then we had a "require" value for always doing
MTOM/SwA (i.e. fault if a non-MTOM message received).  The word "enable"
means "make possible", not "always do", so true/false/require makes more
sense to me.  But +1 regardless.

So how do I control MTOM optimization when sending?  If I'm in
"optional" mode, I assume there is some kind of runtime parameter that I
can set to say "MTOM-ize this particular message"?  There are also some
heuristics that can be used here - for instance, if you're the server
and the client has indicated it accepts the MTOM media-type, you know
you can optimize if necessary.

Thanks,
--Glen

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,
This was discussed in the JIRA and already implemented :)...

> IMHO, it would be nicer if enable="true" did the behavior you describe
> as "optional", and then we had a "require" value for always doing
> MTOM/SwA (i.e. fault if a non-MTOM message received).  The word "enable"
> means "make possible", not "always do", so true/false/require makes more
> sense to me.  But +1 regardless.
+1.. I also seems to like the above options.. But that'll effect the
behaviour of enableMTOM="true" in the existing  axis2.xml's...  Wonder
whether it's acceptable at this moment... If we are not going to do
the above change in values, I would like to substitute  "optional"
with "dynamic" as suggsted by Rich..

> So how do I control MTOM optimization when sending?  If I'm in
> "optional" mode, I assume there is some kind of runtime parameter that I
> can set to say "MTOM-ize this particular message"?
yes..
options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.ENABLE_SWA, Constants.VALUE_TRUE);
more info in http://wso2.org/library/264
> There are also some
> heuristics that can be used here - for instance, if you're the server
> and the client has indicated it accepts the MTOM media-type, you know
> you can optimize if necessary.
AFAIK MTOM policy would take care of these kind of advanced configurations.

Thanks,
Thilina