Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by glarkin53 <gr...@puppet.com> on 2017/11/07 20:19:30 UTC

Unreachable RDP desktop after renaming computer

Hi,

I'm working on a project to provide access to Windows desktops hosted on
Amazon AWS. We spin up a number of Windows EC2 instances (Windows 2012 R2
servers) and then connect to them with Guacamole.

Upon the first connection to a machine, it has the Amazon auto-generated
hostname, such as "win-oekuqjop15l.us-west-2.compute.internal". Our process
requires the hostname to be changed and the machine rebooted, so we may
issue the following commands in a Powershell window:

Rename-Computer glarkin
Restart-Computer

After the machine restarts, Guacamole is unable to connect to the machine.
The dialog box reads "The remote desktop server is currently unreachable."
The machine is still up and running, and I can connect to it with a desktop
RDP client from my laptop, so I think there is a problem with Guacamole
somewhere.

I have tweaked the connection settings to change the security mode to "Any"
and to disable the authentication and ignore the server certificate to see
if that would change the behavior. However, it doesn't seem to change
anything as I still cannot log in to the server through Guacamole.

I wonder if anyone has suggestions for me. Does Guacamole have a hard
requirement that the machine cannot be renamed after initially connecting to
it?

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you,
Greg Larkin

--
Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Unreachable RDP desktop after renaming computer

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Jason Haar <ja...@trimble.com> wrote:

> telnet'ing to one of these "broken" servers on port 3389 from a terminal
> on the guacamole server itself would prove/disprove if there is a network
> connectivity issue. If telnet doesn't work, it's not a guacamole issue...

Yep, or Netcat (nc).

-Nick

Re: Unreachable RDP desktop after renaming computer

Posted by Jason Haar <ja...@trimble.com>.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +1 408 481 8171

Re: Unreachable RDP desktop after renaming computer

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by glarkin53 <gr...@puppet.com>.
vnick wrote
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM, glarkin53 &lt;

> greg.larkin@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on a project to provide access to Windows desktops hosted on
>> Amazon AWS. We spin up a number of Windows EC2 instances (Windows 2012 R2
>> servers) and then connect to them with Guacamole.
>>
>> Upon the first connection to a machine, it has the Amazon auto-generated
>> hostname, such as "win-oekuqjop15l.us-west-2.compute.internal". Our
>> process
>> requires the hostname to be changed and the machine rebooted, so we may
>> issue the following commands in a Powershell window:
>>
>> Rename-Computer glarkin
>> Restart-Computer
>>
>> After the machine restarts, Guacamole is unable to connect to the
>> machine.
>> The dialog box reads "The remote desktop server is currently
>> unreachable."
>> The machine is still up and running, and I can connect to it with a
>> desktop
>> RDP client from my laptop, so I think there is a problem with Guacamole
>> somewhere.
>>

> Greg,
> I suspect that you're running into a DNS caching issue on the system
> hosting Guacamole.  Depending on what distribution you're running, there
> could be one of several daemons running that caches DNS information.
> sssd,
> nscd, and nslcd are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  Also,
> depending on which DNS servers you're pointing at with your laptop vs.
> Guacamole, it could be something on one of those systems, too.
>
> -Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks very much for the reply. Would DNS caching be an issue if I'm using
IP addresses only to create the connections in Guacamole? I should have
clarified that I'm only using Amazon EC2 internal network IP addresses for
the hostname in the Guacamole connections. Those IPs don't change, as far as
I can tell, but I'll double-check that. I'm pretty sure they would if I
powered the Windows machines completely off, but I'm only issuing a reboot.

The other angle I'm pursuing is to start the Windows machines with a
pre-selected hostname instead of the default. That way, our users would not
have to rename the machines and reboot them.

Thank you,
Greg

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.