Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ruben Safir <ru...@mrbrklyn.com> on 2021/01/01 16:07:38 UTC

Re: Confused about two development utils [EXT]

> This isn’t quite true - if you load modules before the process forks then they can cleverly share the same parts of memory. It is useful to be able to "pre-load" core functionality which is used across all functions {this is the case in Linux anyway}. It also speeds up child process generation as the modules are already in memory and converted to byte code.
>
> One of the great advantages of mod_perl is Apache2::SizeLimit which can blow away large child process - and then if needed create new ones. This is not the case with some of the FCGI solutions as the individual processes can grow if there is a memory leak or a request that retrieves a large amount of content (even if not served), but perl can't give the memory back. So FCGI processes only get bigger and bigger and eventually blow up memory (or hit swap first)

The OS uses shared memory, and this is for any kind of forks.  And FWIW,
in GNU/Linux the difference between processes and threads is nominal.
Everythings is light weight processes.

This is an OK dsicussion of it
https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2013/11/linux-process-and-threads/

BTW - there is caching memory throughout the system from the hard drive,
filesystem, in the OS, and in Perl.

It would be NICE if the mod_perl code was FIXED so that it would
compile with preload correctly out of the box.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: Confused about two development utils [EXT]

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.
Preload of what doesnt work ?