Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2005/12/04 06:43:57 UTC

Struts Scripting _test_ build

Since this is my first Struts release, I created a test build [1] for
the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 release that I'd like some feedback, por
favor, from the distribution gods (I'm looking at you Martin, Niall, and
Wendy) :)  If no one sees anything horribly wrong, I'd like to roll the
release and start the quality vote tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and patience,

Don

[1] http://people.apache.org/~mrdon/struts-scripting

Re: Struts Scripting _test_ build

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:

>I looked around, and didn't find anything horribly wrong. :)  Here's my list:
>
>The .jar file is missing NOTICE.txt.  (I can't find the message, but I
>think Phil on commons-dev mentioned that Maven should _automatically_
>handle NOTICE.txt.  It might be something added recently and not
>released yet, though.  If not, a <resource> in project.xml should do
>it.)
>
>The NOTICE.txt in the top level of the .zip file mentions ANTLR, which
>I don't see anywhere in Scripting.  (Though this seems to be the
>standard Struts NOTICE.txt, so maybe it needs to be there.)

Fixed.

>I had trouble with the example app until I changed unpackWARs to true.
> Granted, it's not too useful to run it from a packed WAR file because
>you can't edit the scripts, but...

By design, although I suppose it doesn't really have to be, but yeah, I
don't really see the point to using Struts Scripting then never
expecting to edit the scripts on the fly...

>The Walking Tour in the example app says it's based on Struts 1.2.0
>and has links to jakarta.apache.org.
>
>The registration page has 1.2.1-dev as the version number.

Both of these are because I wanted an exact copy of the Struts 1.2.8
mailreader (and therefore are actually issues with the 1.2.8 release :)).

>Consider expanding the import statements in the .bsh files so I don't
>have to guess where the classes are coming from. :)

Done

>The download link on the website (and included documentation) is to a
>SourceForge site. (?)

Done

Ok, I rolled the changes into a new test build in the same spot:
http://people.apache.org/~mrdon/struts-scripting

I'll be rolling the actual release tomorrow, and again, thanks for all
the help!

Don

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Rahul Akolkar wrote:

>Hi Don -
>
>Some comments/questions below:
>
>Binary distro:
>
>1) The struts-scripting-1.0.0.jar inside the struts-example.war is
>different from the one outside. Is that expected?
>
>2) The one outside the war doesn't have a NOTICE in META-INF (the one
>inside the war doesn't have NOTICE or LICENSE and the MANIFEST is
>incomplete).

Nope, great catch!  Should be fixed in the new version I stuck in the
same place.

>3) Should struts-mailreader.jar have a META-INF directory?

Well, this jar is just a zip of the WEB-INF/classes directory from
Struts 1.2.8 mailreader.  Only in the 1.3 branch does mailreader have
its own jar.

>Source distro:
>
>1) "maven dist" fails because the checkstyle is looking for
>struts_checks.xml which is missing, other than that seems to build OK.

Added.  Thanks again for all the help!

Don

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/4/05, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> Since this is my first Struts release, I created a test build [1] for
> the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 release that I'd like some feedback, por
> favor, from the distribution gods (I'm looking at you Martin, Niall, and
> Wendy) :)  If no one sees anything horribly wrong, I'd like to roll the
> release and start the quality vote tomorrow.

<snip/>