Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@firemirror.com> on 2020/03/16 11:33:10 UTC

[DISCUSS] Stop using Jira (since we aren't using it properly)

The subject pretty much says it all.

We aren't using Jira very well in most cases, and the requirement for a Jira ticket for a code change leads to people just creating new Jira tickets, rather than searching to see if there already exists a ticket for that feature.
For example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-6987 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-2824 (I'm not trying to pick on anyone involved here, I just happened to notice this)
Additionally most of the committers follow a similar path of "work on feature, open Jira ticket just before creating PR".
I am proposing we migrate over to Github issues and drop the requirement to have a jira ticket for PRs.
The one downside is we might get people opening issues for as an "help, how do I do this" -- I think we can address that by having an issue template saying something like "DO NOT OPEN AN ISSUE ASKING FOR HELP - ask on users@ or join slack".
The only other thing Jira currently gives us is the ability mark tasks for "backporting" -- I think we can replace that with Github Milestones. Kaxil or I will happily update the scripts we use to build/check the status of releases.
Thoughts?
The only outstanding question is then what do we do about migrating the issue (do we copy issues across to Github?). Perhaps it might be a good opportunity for a clean slate.
-ash

Re: [DISCUSS] Stop using Jira (since we aren't using it properly)

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
VOTE and switch.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Yeah. It's just normal that people do not read instructions. But the more
we repeat the message in various places, the more people will notice. It's
just a matter of being persistent and patient.

How about the other part about lightweight process? Anyone has opinion on
that? I think we should at least discuss it before we move 100s of issues
to Github without knowing what we are going to do with them.

Just another voice in the discussion: I just got this message from a user
(Slava) who tried to post to the mailing list but had trouble with mailer
only sending HTML (rejected by the discussion group) , and posted it to me
on Slack. I am forwarding it here - to add some thoughts. I do not
necessary think we should do it this way, but maybe this might be something
that we could start our discussion on

hi still can't send to the mailing list... I gave up as it's too much
trouble..
I'll share my thoughts about the Jira-Github thread.
I think that Airflow is trying to relay on automated process too much.
To me it sounds like at the end the github issues will be a mess just like
the Jira is.

Please see:
https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas/issues

They have over 3000+ open issues yet it magnificently organised and well
understood by everyone.
no duplications, no hard time finding issues, labels are well used, each
issue is designated to a specific planed release so it's easy to know what
still needed to fix before releasing next version
What they do?

New issues has no label - This basically means "This issue needs triage".
This issues are being processed by authorised members of the community.

Process includes:
0. Making sure it's not duplicated/wrong etc..
1. adding labels
2. adding release milestone (including SomeDay or ContributorsWelcome)
3. adding comments or engage discussion on what is actually needed so that
the person who start working on the issue won't guess.
In airflow the approach is a bit different, it's more like "first open PR
then we'll discuss it".
it's always possible to know which issues haven't been reviewed yet -
simply see the issues without labels or milestone.

J,

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [DISCUSS] Stop using Jira (since we aren't using it properly)

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [DISCUSS] Stop using Jira (since we aren't using it properly)

Posted by Karolina Rosół <ka...@polidea.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Michał Słowikowski <mi...@polidea.com>.
Hi guys,

I am new here, and usually I try to create tickets on Jira before starting
to work on a task.
I think the problem here is not the tool like Jira but the way we are using
it.

I do not know if there is a process for creating tasks but I assume it
looks like this: check keywords if such an issue/task exists and then
create ticket in Jira, if you need help ask on Slack or via devlist.

Before starting a task, I was thinking about sending an email on devlist to
everyone with questions like "I am starting to work on feature X for the Y
service. Does anybody work on such a task?”, and attaching task description.

I am not sure if this is a good solution, but maybe it's better than
nothing. I don't know how many devs are reading this devlist.

I have been working with Jira (which I like) for a long time already but I
have noticed that such a big community like Airflow has problem with
tickets because there is no person who would manage the tickets for whom
Jira would be the only place of the truth. For me such a place is GitHub
and I assume that a lot of you have your own projects on GitHub, too.

It is hard to keep Jira clean and tidy because we are all working on very
different fields.

I am afraid that the same situation could be with GitHub. Maybe we should
think about the flow of creating tickets and working with a new tool
(GitHub or whatever else).

Best regards
Michał

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 4:28 PM Shaw, Damian P. <
damian.shaw.2@credit-suisse.com> wrote:

> I would just like to add some extra positive thoughts for this.
>
> Firstly as a newcomer JIRA is  confusing, even coming from a word that
> does use JIRA internally it's not what you see for most open source
> projects so it's far more familiar to use GitHub issues. (actually as a
> side note one negative is you may see an increase of "issues" that are
> actually support questions, I know this happens a lot on Jira, I don't know
> if you've considered standard or automatic handling)
>
> Secondly coming from a big enterprise company I often find Apache is
> blocking our connection and I can almost never load Airflow's JIRA. Because
> we are tens of thousands of users all behind 1 IP it seems that Apache
> automatically blocks us often. So it will be nice to actually be able to
> read issues from my work computer!
>
> Damian

Michał Słowikowski
Polidea <https://www.polidea.com/> | Junior Software Engineer

E: michal.slowikowski@polidea.com

Unique Tech
Check out our projects! <https://www.polidea.com/our-work>

RE: [DISCUSS] Stop using Jira (since we aren't using it properly)

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Yep. Vote and switch :)

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>.
Yes, vote and switch.

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.
Yeah, Superset is using GIthub Issues instead of Jira.

This is probably the third or fourth time the Github/Jira subject has been brought up, something just finally pushed me over the edge of "why are we bothering with this" today.
It seems like we have fairly broad agreement this time. AIP worth, or just a VOTE and switch over?
-a
On Mar 16 2020, at 2:02 pm, Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 for Github issues. Github allows creating issue template (feature, bug, custom) so this should help. And I have a feeling that GH issues are indexed better than JIRA tickets. JIRA gives the possibility to interlink between ASF projects but I don't think is something important for us. I've also spotted that Apache Superset is proposing SIP (Superset Improvement Proposals) on Github issues. T. On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 1:08 PM Kaxil Naik wrote: > > +1 > > One other problem it would help us solve is *closing issues where the PR is > merged*. This is one of the pain-points for us, some of the JIRA issues are > open even though the PR is merged. > > With Github issues, if there is a PR solving an existing issue just adding > "fixes #20" would close that issue when PR is merged. > > Regards, > Kaxil > > > > On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Ash Berlin-Taylor wrote: > > > > Maybe we could have some clear guidelines on when the issues should be > > created - only when there is a problem so
meone wants to report and we have > > no code for it yet. > > > > Yes, exactly. If you want to submit a fix directly: great, open a PR; if > > you want to report it but arent able/willing to submit a fix straight away: > > create an issue. > > -a > > On Mar 16 2020, at 12:02 pm, Jarek Potiuk > > wrote: > > > I am all for it. We can easily rely just on PR# to uniquely identify > > commit rather than Github issue id - and remove the requirement to have an > > issue altogether? The issue can be added optionally but it should not be a > > requirement. I think PRs and Issues are pretty equivalent when you follow > > the "work" + "create" +" submit" sequence - without the unnecessary hassle. > > You can assign milestones/projects/label the same way on both. We actually > > found that even when we use them in some other projects - they become > > unnecessary. I think eventually there should be a way to convert an issue > > into PR :). Even if we want to use Github Projects eventually, we ca
n add > > PRs to projects similarly as issues. Maybe we could have some clear > > guidelines on when the issues should be created - only when there is a > > problem someone wants to report and we have no code for it yet. J. On Mon, > > Mar 16, 2020 at 12:46 PM Ash Berlin-Taylor wrote: > > I'm totally in favor > > of not using Jira, as they are serving hardly > > any > purpose other than just a useless step before creating a PR. > > However, I > don't think to make a GitHub issue mandatory is also a good > > step, as > eventually, it'll meet the same fate of being opened just before > > opening a > PR. > > > So IMO we can use Github issues for simple use, which > > is to report some > bugs/questions by users, who are not necessarily > > planning to create a PR > soon. > Yes, that was what I meant but I wasn't > > clear; I was just using "Github > Issues" as a collective product name, and > > not saying we need an issue for > every PR. > > -ash > > On Mar 16 2020, at > > 11:42 am, Sumi
t Maheshwari > wrote: > > I'm totally in favor of not using > > Jira, as they are serving hardly any > purpose other than just a useless > > step before creating a PR. However, I > don't think to make a GitHub issue > > mandatory is also a good step, as > eventually, it'll meet the same fate of > > being opened just before opening a > PR. So IMO we can use Github issues > > for simple use, which is to report some > > > bugs/questions by users, who are not necessarily planning to create a > > PR > soon. Also, if we go this route, then we can do the one time Jira > > cleanup > and port only valid issues in Github. On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at > > 5:07 PM Ash > Berlin-Taylor wrote: > Yeah, Github issues are far from > > perfect, it's > mainly just I feel we have > a lot of "busy-work" in our > > process that is no > longer really serving much > benefit to us as a > > community. > > -a > On Mar > 16 2020, at 11:35 am, Bolke de Bruin wrote: > > > > Honestly, I think both > suck. So I can go ei
ther way > > > > > > On 16 > > March 2020 at 12:33:27, Ash > Berlin-Taylor (ash@firemirror.com > (mailto: > > a > sh@firemirror.com)) wrote: > > > The subject pretty much says it all. > > > > > > We aren't using Jira very well in most cases, and the requirement > > for > a > Jira ticket for a code change leads to people just creating new > > Jira > > tickets, rather than searching to see if there already exists a > > ticket for > > that feature. > > > For example: > ht > > tps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-6987 and > > > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-2824 (I'm not trying to > > > > pick on anyone involved here, I just happened to notice this) > > > > > > Additionally most of the committers follow a similar path of "work on > > > > feature, open Jira ticket just before creating PR". > > > I am proposing we > > > migrate over to Github issues and drop the > requirement to have a jira > > > ticket for PRs. > > > The one downside is we might get people opening

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
And for the clean state -> I am rather for a "brute" approach. I.e. review
them and only move those that people reviewing them find necessary to keep.
Mark the others as stale, add comment "we are closing them in a week -
please create a github issue if you want to keep it"  and close the
remaining ones a week later. They will still be there (but closed) and we
can always ressurrect them as needed.

I think we can do it at any time (maybe after or at 1.10.10 release).

J.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [DISCUSS] Stop using Jira (since we aren't using it properly)

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sumit Maheshwari <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@firemirror.com>.