Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2003/09/19 12:04:56 UTC

docs disruption (was: on better release and version management)

Le Vendredi, 19 sep 2003, à 11:25 Europe/Zurich, Carsten Ziegeler a
écrit :

> ...Now to the docs:
> Yes, looking back it was a very stupid idea to reorganize the docs. I
> didn't thought about links pointing to the old docs. I'm very sorry
> for that!

I don't think it was a stupid idea - after so much talk on how to
organize the docs, your were the one to jump in and actually do
something.
Maybe using a CVS branch for this would have been better, but IMHO the
docs beg to be reorganized.

> ...then I decided to just rearrange everything and commit it
> if noone is against it (that's why I asked on the list before)....

Doing, not talking. I like it ;-)
Only those who do nothing don't make mistakes.

> ...What do to if you move a document?...

We had some talks on the docs list [1], David Crossley has some
interesting ideas in [2] ("special generator").

I think any static way of redirecting from old to new docs will fail,
as people will be too lazy to handle it properly.
Even without a dynamic Cocoon instance to serve the website, it would
be possible to generate redirect pages or .htaccess files from the
registry suggested by David.

> ...If you all want, I could try to reinstantiate the old doc structure,
> this will take some days, but it's possible....

I don't want it, I think some disruption is needed to make the docs
happen.
But if people want it, maybe you could reinstate the last released CVS
version of the docs and put your new stuff in a branch?

Maybe it would be good to have a talk about the docs at the GT?
I find it a pain to write and organize docs with the current xdocs
system, there has to be a better way.
We need to find a middle ground between the ease of the wiki and the
accountability of the CVS xdocs.

-Bertrand

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-docs&m=106274913021712&w=2
[2]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-docs&m=106300856810833&w=2

Re: docs disruption

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Vendredi, 19 sep 2003, à 11:25 Europe/Zurich, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :
>
>> ...Now to the docs:
>> Yes, looking back it was a very stupid idea to reorganize the docs. I
>> didn't thought about links pointing to the old docs. I'm very sorry
>> for that!
>
> I don't think it was a stupid idea - after so much talk on how to
> organize the docs, your were the one to jump in and actually do something.
> Maybe using a CVS branch for this would have been better, but IMHO the
> docs beg to be reorganized.

+1 The old docs were unuseful (overstating of course). They needed a
restructure and you have done it - so I'm ok with it.

>> ...What do to if you move a document?...
>
> We had some talks on the docs list [1], David Crossley has some
> interesting ideas in [2] ("special generator").
>
> I think any static way of redirecting from old to new docs will fail, as
> people will be too lazy to handle it properly.
> Even without a dynamic Cocoon instance to serve the website, it would be
> possible to generate redirect pages or .htaccess files from the registry
> suggested by David.

Is it such a big issue to have broken links? As far as I'm guided to the
new page I have no problems with them. This does not only mean a
redirect, but also providing a useful search page with the results of a
default search taken from the broken link. Almost all our links provide
semantic hints to do a useful search.

At the moment our search on the "root" website does not work (404), the
2.1 module uses Google. And we have ugly 404 pages, which every possible
Cocoon users will leave immediately.

>> ...If you all want, I could try to reinstantiate the old doc structure,
>> this will take some days, but it's possible....
>
> I don't want it, I think some disruption is needed to make the docs happen.
> But if people want it, maybe you could reinstate the last released CVS
> version of the docs and put your new stuff in a branch?

-.5 not necessary IMO

Joerg