Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2012/12/04 23:34:50 UTC

Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Hi Tomcat Developers,

I am using Tomcat 7.0.33 and notice on Tomcat startup my web services startup in series rather than parallel. If you do not have it you might want to have an option to startup apps in parallel or assign number of threads that can startup in parallel.

Thanks,
-Tony

Re: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 05/12/2012 01:05, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Also, if there is some other email group I should be using for technical questions about use of Tomcat please let me know.

No, this is it.

[key:62590808]

RE: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Ok it is working startup time went from 18 seconds down to a little over 8 seconds.

Also, if there is some other email group I should be using for technical questions about use of Tomcat please let me know.

Regards,
-Tony

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tony Anecito [mailto:adanecito@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Don't top-post.

> Ok I found a "Engine" reference in the server.xml for the catalina
> service. I am guessing that the attribute should go in there somewhere.
> I will look at the engine documentation to see how to add it.

I gave you the direct links to the documentation...

And it's unlikely you want the <Engine> one, unless you have multiple <Host> elements.  Even then, if you have multiple webapps for a <Host>, you want to set it there.

 - Chuck

RE: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Ok I found a "Engine" reference in the server.xml for the catalina service. I am guessing that the attribute should go in there somewhere. I will look at the engine documentation to see how to add it.

Thanks,
-Tony

According to someone else that is the attribute to use. But as in my last message I could not find where it is or if not by default in some config file which config file to use.

Thanks,
-Tony

> I am using Tomcat 7.0.33 and notice on Tomcat startup my web services
> startup in series rather than parallel. If you do not have it you might
> want to have an option to startup apps in parallel or assign number of
> threads that can startup in parallel.

Do you mean the startStopThreads attribute documented for <Engine> and <Host>?

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/engine.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html

- Chuck

RE: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chuck,

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/12/5 Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>:
> Thanks. I can not find any examples or reference to what config file this goes into.
I looked at server.xml and web.xml and did not find it in there. I did
find something called the Engine Container but again no examples or
where it can be found if already existing.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/index.html
The first sentence.

Re: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks. I can not find any examples or reference to what config file this goes into. I looked at server.xml and web.xml and did not find it in there. I did find something called the Engine Container but again no examples or where it can be found if already existing.

I will keep looking.

-Tony

> I am using Tomcat 7.0.33 and notice on Tomcat startup my web services startup in series rather than parallel. If you do not have it you might want to have an option to startup apps in parallel or assign number of threads that can startup in parallel.

;)

Jump to
http://tomcat.apache.org/oldnews.html
and look for 7.0.23

Re: Suggestion for improving Tomcat startup performance...

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.