Posted to dev@click.apache.org by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/03 06:17:29 UTC

Quickstart - CLK-531

Hi Adrian,

Do you have any technical detail (or code) on the ClickStart project you mention on the wiki[1] and
in Jira[2]?

Are you planning  to build a command line tool (ala Roo) or Ant or something else?

Kind r3gards

Bob

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLICK/Click+2.4+Wishlist
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLK-531

Re: Quickstart - CLK-531

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
On 4/10/2010 22:25, Adrian A. wrote:
> One questions that remains is where to host it?

This is a good fit for a Click subproject, similar to EclipseIDE and Velocity tools. There is
certainly enough development scope. This allows the project to have its own documentation,
versioning and release cycle and evolve independently without being constrained by Click itself.

I suggest developing in:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/click/trunk/tools/clickstart/

> in:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/click/trunk/click/template/
> (where the actual quickstart is located)

Once ClickStart matures we can remove 'quickstart'.

Kind regards

Bob

Re: Quickstart - CLK-531

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> Just be careful with JAG as it's GPL and viral, so best not to look at their source code.
Of course. I just gave it as an example as a tool that allows custom
templates too, that are grouped as a "project", so that at generation,
the user needs to give as input only very few values if it's using the
"defaults" (but many other tools allow this concept too).

E.g. CayenneModeler allows this too, but it's a little bit complicated
to deal with custom code generation, and improve it to allow directly
from CM to simply generate a Click based project.

So, the main idea Qu(/Cl)ickStart is to have a generic tree like
structure of objects for the default values and for input values (for
custom values too) in order to greatly simplify the template creation,
thus allowing a quick and easy creation of custom templates too (e.g.
from existing and successful project structures).

One questions that remains is where to host it?
in:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/click/trunk/click/template/
(where the actual quickstart is located)
or in:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/click/trunk/tools/standalone/
?

Since it has several small(except the first) modules:
/clickstart
/clickstart-cli
/clickstart-ant
?/clickstart-maven?
/clickstart-gui

Adrian.

Re: Quickstart - CLK-531

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. Just be careful with JAG as it's GPL and viral, so best not to look at their source code.

Regards

Bob

Re: Quickstart - CLK-531

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.