Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laurent de Menditte <ld...@webtiss.com> on 2003/02/28 14:04:39 UTC

[users@httpd] ThreadsPerChild setting

Hi all,

For a professionnal application used by 250 users, we're using Apache version 1.3.22 on a Windows 2000 server and we sometimes encounter the following error:

[error] Server ran out of threads to serve requests. Consider raising the ThreadsPerChild setting

This setting is currently valued to 100, after we've already increased it many times. How can we be sure what value should be efficient?

Laurent

Re: [users@httpd] ThreadsPerChild setting

Posted by ke...@dgap.mipt.ru.
> Second, the optimum setting for ThreadsPerChild really depends on your
> available resources.  The import resource is memory.  So try raising it
> and watch the effect on free memory.  Make sure you don't raise it so high
> that the server must swap back and forth to disk to serve requests,
> because this will kill performance.
It does not work at all under my linux box. Just it fall with error at runtime
and not serve any pages.

Re: [users@httpd] ThreadsPerChild setting

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Laurent de Menditte wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For a professionnal application used by 250 users, we're using Apache
> version 1.3.22 on a Windows 2000 server and we sometimes encounter the
> following error:
>
> [error] Server ran out of threads to serve requests. Consider raising
> the ThreadsPerChild setting
>
> This setting is currently valued to 100, after we've already increased
> it many times. How can we be sure what value should be efficient?

The first thing to do is strongly consider upgrading to Apache 2, which is
MUCH more efficient on windows.

Second, the optimum setting for ThreadsPerChild really depends on your
available resources.  The import resource is memory.  So try raising it
and watch the effect on free memory.  Make sure you don't raise it so high
that the server must swap back and forth to disk to serve requests,
because this will kill performance.

Joshua.