Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "T. Kuro Kurosaka" <ku...@healthline.com> on 2013/11/05 19:36:14 UTC

geo/spatial search performance comparison using different methods

Are there any performance comparison results available comparing various
methods
to sort result by distance (not just filtering) on Solr 3 and 4?

We are using Solr 3.5 with Solr-2155 patch. I am particularly interested
in learning
performance difference among Solr 3 LatLongType, Solr-2155 GeoHash,
Solr 4 implementation of GeoHash and Solr 4's
SpatialRecursivePrefixTreeFieldType
(location_rpt).

I see comparison of Solr 3 LatLongType vs Solr-2155
3.6.2-work/example/solr/conf/
but it is 2 years old.

T. "Kuro" Kurosaka • Senior Software Engineer
Healthline Networks, Inc. • Connect to Better Health
www.healthline.com

Re: geo/spatial search performance comparison using different methods

Posted by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org>.
Any guesses would be wild ones, but I'm pretty sure you'll notice it,
assuming the result size isn't trivially small.  Also, LatLonType will use
much less memory and be more real-time search friendly (i.e. Commit
warming will be faster, assuming you do warming queries as everyone should
do).

To be clear, I think you should continue to use SOLR-2155/RPT for spatial
filtering -- that's what that technology does best.

~ David

Posted by "T. Kuro Kurosaka" <ku...@healthline.com>.
Thank you, David.

Posted by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org>.