Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2020/06/13 17:56:52 UTC

Building mod_jk for Windows

Re: Building mod_jk for Windows

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> All,
>
> I see Mladen has gone crazy updating mod_jk for IIS. The build process
> looks fairly straightforward in a way that isn't so straightforward
> for e.g. libtcnative.
>
> I suspect most of it is the work that has gone into his "Custom
> Microsoft Compiler Toolkit Compilation" to make sure it has everything
> it needs.
>
> I wonder if this could be Dockerized to make it even easier for just
> about anyone to perform a Windows build of mod_jk. Even better,
> perhaps a similar toolchain could be used to build libtcnative as well.

I haven't looked at what Mldaen has done for ISAPI but Tomcat Native for
Windows is already built using his custom toolkit. (And ISAPI was too
even before these changes.)

Mark

Re: Building mod_jk for Windows

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

> All,
>
> I see Mladen has gone crazy updating mod_jk for IIS. The build process
> looks fairly straightforward in a way that isn't so straightforward
> for e.g. libtcnative.

That's the next on the road, but probably using CMake.

> I suspect most of it is the work that has gone into his "Custom
> Microsoft Compiler Toolkit Compilation" to make sure it has everything
> it needs.

Yep, any Modern MS compiler having nmake and command prompt can be
used directly. Just open desired command environment (32 or 64 bit)
and enter nmake -f Makefile.vc BUILD_CPU=x64 APACHE2_HOME=...
The point was to ease the CI integration

Regards
--
^TM

Re: Building mod_jk for Windows

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 13/06/2020 20:56, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2020-06-13 um 19:56 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I see Mladen has gone crazy updating mod_jk for IIS. The build process
>> looks fairly straightforward in a way that isn't so straightforward
>> for e.g. libtcnative.
>>
>> I suspect most of it is the work that has gone into his "Custom
>> Microsoft Compiler Toolkit Compilation" to make sure it has everything
>> it needs.
>>
>> I wonder if this could be Dockerized to make it even easier for just
>> about anyone to perform a Windows build of mod_jk. Even better,
>> perhaps a similar toolchain could be used to build libtcnative as well.
>>
>> Does anyone have extensive Docker experience? I certainly do not...
>
> I prefer CMake for truly portable builds. Due to my recent work on libtcnative I have noticed that both the autoconf files als well as Makefiles have a lot of ancient cruft. I'd be happy to invoke just CMake and just make on any platform. That is a
> long-term goal for me with tcnative.

That's the next goal.
Make it used by vcpkg, etc..

Regards