Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Benoit Fortin <be...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/03 17:03:54 UTC

JMS pub/sub (using Camel) performance issue with MQ in XA transactions

We have a java application doing JMS subscriptions that is using Camel as
its JMS provider.

The application is subscribing to a topic using XA. It consumes 1 message
in the queue, and then closes the XA transaction (each message is part of
an XA transaction). Then the application re-attaches itself to the topic to
start over the same process for each message.

When there are no messages to process, the client waits for 45 seconds
(which is the XA transaction timeout) before closing the request and the XA
transaction and starting a new iteration.

I have analyzed how this process is actually being done using a tcpdump,
and here is what I found:

——

    MQ Client --[XA_START]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client <--[XA_START_REPLY]-- MQ Server

    MQ Client --[SPI (SUBSCRIBE)]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client <--[SPI REPLY]-- MQ Server

    MQ Client --[REQUEST_MSGS]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client --[REQUEST_MSGS]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client <--[NOTIFICATION]-- MQ Server

    MQ Client --[MQCLOSE]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client <--[MQCLOSE_REPLY]-- MQ Server

    MQ Client --[XA_END]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client <--[XA_END_REPLY]-- MQ Server

    MQ Client --[XA_COMMIT]--> MQ Server

    MQ Client <--[XA_COMMIT_REPLY]-- MQ Server

——

This is process is on a durable subscription, so each of the iterations
(even when there is no message to consume) ends up generating I/O on the MQ
server (I think, mostly on the SYSTEM.DURABLE.SUBSCRIBER.QUEUE queue, where
MQ keeps trace of its subscribers).

Having a somewhat high number of subscribers doing this process, the MQ
server ends up I/O bound, with +4000 IOPS on the MQ logs disks (even
outside of business hours, when there are no messages to consume). This
process also consumes ~3 CPU outside of business hours.

I am a bit puzzled that using XA on pub/sub scales so bad, and I am
wondering if there is any way to implement this solution without doing so
much subscribe operations.

Re: JMS pub/sub (using Camel) performance issue with MQ in XA transactions

Posted by Benoit Fortin <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We do need XA as the client application is doing 2 phase commit in (1) the
subscription and (2) a database.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: JMS pub/sub (using Camel) performance issue with MQ in XA transactions

Posted by Benoit Fortin <be...@gmail.com>.
The cache shouldn’t be enabled, as we are using XA (as per Camel’s
recommendation). We have also tuned the polling interval.

That being said, what hurts the I/O subsystem on the MQ server is the
Subscribe operation itself (not the polling for messages).

I am wondering is if there would be any way (inside or outside of Camel) to
have the XA transaction “scoped” on the REQUEST_MSGS requests instead of
the SUBSCRIBE operation? So that each polling doesn’t do a subscribe
operation every time and instead stays attached to an already opened
subscription?

As a reminder, I am attaching below how the XA transaction and subscription
operations are being done (according to a tcpdump I analyzed):

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen