Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by garz <ga...@gmx.net> on 2014/02/26 10:57:27 UTC

Why is using Tapestry a Filter instead of a Servlet

Hi,

i was just curious about why Tapestry is using a Filter instead of a Servlet. Does anyone know?

Regards
garz

Re: Why is using Tapestry a Filter instead of a Servlet

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:57:27 -0300, garz <ga...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> i was just curious about why Tapestry is using a Filter instead of a
> Servlet. Does anyone know?

As Lance said, a servlet is and endpoint and it must send a response to a
request. This causes servlets to be useless when you're trying to handle
more than one URL pattern but not all. A servlet filter is way more
flexible. You can have Tapestry code, specifically
HttpServletRequestFilter, which has a chance to run some logic for every
request, being it actually handled by Tapestry or not. One nice example
would be to control access to images (or any other URL) located in the
webapp context. You can do that in Tapestry even if the files are served
by the servlet container itself.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Why is using Tapestry a Filter instead of a Servlet

Posted by garz <ga...@gmx.net>.
thank you, thats it :)

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by garz <ga...@gmx.net>.
yes i know that, but it does not answer my question. :)