Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> on 2020/12/02 03:56:26 UTC

old [2014] .odt document

I can export this to pdf or html, but not to MS Word.  What am I doing wrong?  OO 4.1.7 on a Mac running Catalina.

If this can’t be done, I can copy/paste the text into a Mac pages file [I was going to import the .doc file into pages] but since it’s a big table, the formatting gets badly mangled.

Didn’t OO used to have this capability?

 ----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

‌If more politicians in this country were thinking about the next generation instead of the next election, it might be better for the United States and the world. - Claude Pepper, senator and representative‌  ‌

‌‌‌

Re: old [2014] .odt document

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 12:31 02/12/2020 -0500, Julian Thomas wrote:
>On Dec 2, 2020, at 05:40, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>On 02/12/2020 04:56, Julian Thomas wrote:
>>>I can export this to pdf or html, but not to MS Word.
>>
>>But yo can Save As to a dox file.
>
>Yes - thank you for reminding me. It's confusing
>that you can save as for this but you have to export for pdf….

I've always thought that distinction intelligent
and sensible (and an improvement over Some Other
Products). You save to word processor formats,
retaining the document structure and enabling
further editing, whereas you export to PDF, as
this format loses the document structure and is
quite unsuitable for further editing. Exporting
to PDF is more like exporting to hard copy -
otherwise known as printing. In particular, after
a user has exported to PDF, they are still
prompted to save or discard any changes to the document.

Brian Barker

Re: old [2014] .odt document

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@icloud.com.INVALID>.
thanks - makes more sense when I consider that.

> On Dec 2, 2020, at 14:36, Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> I've always thought that distinction intelligent and sensible (and an improvement over Some Other Products). You save to word processor formats, retaining the document structure and enabling further editing, whereas you export to PDF, as this format loses the document structure and is quite unsuitable for further editing. Exporting to PDF is more like exporting to hard copy - otherwise known as printing. In particular, after a user has exported to PDF, they are still prompted to save or discard any changes to the document.

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. ― Theodore Roosevelt

Re: old [2014] .odt document

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

> On Dec 2, 2020, at 05:40, Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> On 02/12/2020 04:56, Julian Thomas wrote:
>> I can export this to pdf or html, but not to MS Word.
>
> But yo can Save As to a dox file.

Yes - thank you for reminding me.  It’s confusing that you can save as for this but you have to export for pdf….

Problem solved.

 ----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

‌We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color. - Maya Angelou‌  ‌

‌‌‌

Re: old [2014] .odt document

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID>.
On 02/12/2020 04:56, Julian Thomas wrote:
> I can export this to pdf or html, but not to MS Word.

But yo can Save As to a dox file.

> What am I doing wrong?

You use the wrong option.