Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Panop Suvaphrom <PS...@vizrt.com> on 2010/09/08 03:29:03 UTC

CouchDB Compaction

Hi,

       I have run CouchDb on linux.
       When I do compaction and clean up on View & Database, I saw
size of dababase was decrease through Futon but on the command
line (df -h) I still see it is not decease and still continue a little bit increase up about (1%).

        Another question is  I used to see disk space (df -h) was consumed by couchdb
about  (60 %)  and I try to clean up and compaction, suddenly it reduce to about 1%
and the process is terminated.

Ps. I have client application run constantly to update data to couchdb.

Thanks a lot for any help.
Aun.

Re: CouchDB Compaction

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
Deletion on some filesystems (those without extents, such as ext3) can take
time. Recent versions of Couch (1.0.0+) rename files into a trash directory
(.delete I believe) before deleting them. If they do not delete immediately,
there may be a reference counting bug where the file descriptor is not
destroyed and the OS maintains a handle to the file. More likely is that the
delete is happening slowly in the background.

If this deletion kills couchdb that is a problem. If you have a relevant log
file from just before the crash that does not contain sensitive information
please share it. If it does contain sensitive information, let us know and a
committer can get in touch to look at it privately.

-Randall