Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com> on 2006/12/29 14:21:09 UTC

Help diagnosing a simple example

I’m doing my own “Hello world” example, just to get started with Celtix/CXF,
and I’m getting a SOAPFaultException from the client: “Cannot find the
dispatch method”. Server’s throwing a “Error in decoding SOAP Message”,
which makes it seem like I’m getting a mismatched SOAP operation name
somehow. Is there any way (short of using tcpmon in between the two) of
seeing the SOAP message from the client and server in the pipeline?

Additionally, suggestions on what might be wrong here would be helpful; I’m
trying to build the service via JAXWS annotations, java2wsdl it, then
wsdl2java a client that uses it. Any hangups I should be aware of?

Ted Neward

Java, .NET, XML Services

Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing

HYPERLINK "http://www.tedneward.com"http://www.tedneward.com

12:31 PM

RE: Help diagnosing a simple example

Posted by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com>.
> Well its completely optional to specify @Request/@ResponseWrappers.
> Personally I'm not a big fan of it either.(On the other hand, I
> believe there are edge cases that require a solution like this - I
> just don't remember what they are off hand)

I added them because java2wsdl complained about them not being present,
which I thought was odd at the time but didn't put a lot more thought than
that into it.

Let me start over: I want to write a JAXWS-First HelloWorld example,
complete with Speak/SpeakResponse message/parameter types as necessary.
What's the code for that look like? I can't find said example anywhere in
the samples directory, and Google has been less than helpful. (Maybe I'm
Googling it wrong, so pointers to resources--beyond the JAXWS Spec
itself--would be helpful.)

http://www.tedneward.com

12:47 PM

Re: Help diagnosing a simple example

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hola,

Posted by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com>.
Hmm. That makes sense, but it seems wasteful to have to conjure up a new
type for both request and response on every operation. (I know the reasoning
behind doc/literal and so forth, but just wondering if there's a happy
medium here somewhere.)

On another note, is there any way I can write an "open-ended" endpoint in
JAXWS? What I mean is to write a method that takes the SOAP message itself
as a parameter, not some strongly-typed Java bean, so I can pick the message
apart by hand. (In WCF, this is done via declaring a service contract with
an operation taking a Message parameter; anything equivalent in JAXWS or
CXF?)

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

4:48 PM

Re: Help diagnosing a simple example

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

RE: Help diagnosing a simple example

Posted by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com>.
OK, got further, but I'm hoping I'm not correct on something. Here's what I
want to do, and I want to confirm that there's no way to do it:
(*) I want to do a new greenfield service starting from JAXWS (not WSDL).
(*) I want to use the following SEI:

@WebService
public interface Howdy
{
	@WebMethod
	@RequestWrapper(className="java.lang.String")
	@ResponseWrapper(className="java.lang.String")
	public String speak(String msg);
}

When I go through the steps of creating the service implementation, gen the
WDSL using java2wsdl, and use the generated (wsdl2java -client) client code,
including the generated client (which is trey handy, by the way), I get an
error that states that "java.lang.String is not a bean". WTF? Is it really
true that I can't ship Strings here, or is this a red-herring error message?

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

4:48 PM

RE: Help diagnosing a simple example

Posted by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com>.
"some other mechanism" meaning....? (I wasn't aware there was another
mechanism.)

I'm going to attack it again this morning with (hopefully) clearer head and
see if I can get it to work, and if not, I'll ship client and server code to

4:48 PM

Re: Help diagnosing a simple example

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Ted,