Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Rohit Banga <ia...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/06 14:27:06 UTC

hit highlighting in lucene

Hi friends

I have just started using lucene and the way i want to use it is the
following:

i have documents consisting of names of users as one field.
i have a sentence that may contain the name of some user.
i perform a search for the sentence in the index using the searcher.
if it contains the name of the user, then that user's document is listed on
top by lucene.

now i want to determine the position in the sentence where the string has
been found.

i am using fuzzy query matching by adding the character '~' to the sentence
i am searching.
so this means i cannot use the find function of the String class as is to
get the position of the match.

Thanks in advance

--
Rohit Banga

Re: hit highlighting in lucene

Posted by Rohit Banga <ia...@gmail.com>.
it works!!! :)

could you also offer a suggestion for the following?

please have a look at the code above. it contains a list of cities that have
been added to the index.

// this is the code for indexing
    void indexCities() throws Exception {

        IndexWriter writer = new
IndexWriter(FSDirectory.open(index_directory),
                                new
StandardAnalyzer(Version.LUCENE_CURRENT), true,
                                IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.LIMITED);

        for (int i = 0; i < names.length; ++i) {
            Document doc = new Document();
            doc.add(new Field("name", names[i], Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.ANALYZED));
            writer.addDocument(doc);
        }

        writer.optimize();
        writer.close();
    }

if i try
TermQuery tq = new FuzzyQuery(new Term("name","new delhi"));

i get a null because new and delhi are considered separately.

how should i change the analyzer to consider new delhi as a single term.
basically i am using lucene to find the names of all cities in the string.
because their may be spelling mistakes fuzzy matching works. that is i get
that the document with the closest matching city name as a top hit.
but since i also want to identify where in the query the match occurred, i
am using a hit highlighter. do i need to modify my analyzer to group new and
delhi into a phrase.

sorry for the noob question :(

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
try