Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2021/02/05 22:21:14 UTC

Ping Jean: User guide for AOO

On 1/24/2021 4:12 AM, Jean Weber wrote:
> I've updated the preface and first two chapters of my book, but I am not
> feeling terribly motivated to continue. I’m finding AOO very clunky and
> lacking in features that I use all the time in LO. OTOH, so little appears
> to have changed since AOO 3.4 that updating has been going fairly quickly
> so far.
>
> Another thought: my book is licensed CC-BY, so AOO docs people could take a
> copy and do your own updating, giving proper acknowledgment to me (and
> changing the title of the book to "Getting Started with AOO 4.1" and the
> author to “AOO Docs Team”). If you choose to go that route, I’m happy to
> contribute what I’ve done so far.
>
> If you're interested, you can download a copy of my v3.4 book here:
> PDF  http://taming-apacheopenoffice.com/downloads/TamingAOO34.pdf
> ODT  http://taming-apacheopenoffice.com/downloads/TamingAOO34.odt
>
> Jean

You said elsewhere on the list your interest in updating your book was
flagging.If you have chapter files available we could help with this or
take it over entirely. Chapter files would be  great help either way as
we have limited resources and could portion it out by chapter to have it
done quicker.

On another topic. I had a question on how you packed all the chapters
into the full book. Did you just remove the toc from the chapters and
merge them into a separate file or was there another way to accomplish that?

Regards
Keith

Re: Ping Jean: User guide for AOO

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 2/5/2021 7:32 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 8:21 AM Keith N. McKenna
> <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>> You said elsewhere on the list your interest in updating your book
>> was flagging.If you have chapter files available we could help
>> with this or take it over entirely. Chapter files would be  great
>> help either way as we have limited resources and could portion it
>> out by chapter to have it done quicker.
>
> I didn't have separate chapter files, but I just generated them by
> exporting the full file as a master document. That created an ODM
> with links to chapter files. One annoyance: because there is a
> Preface, its file gets numbered 1, then chapter 1's file is 2, etc.
> It's easy enough, though a bit tedious, to renumber the files
> (starting with 0 for the preface) and their links in the master doc.
>  Also, the generated chapter files don't have cover pages or ToCs.
>
>> On another topic. I had a question on how you packed all the
>> chapters into the full book. Did you just remove the toc from the
>> chapters and merge them into a separate file or was there another
>> way to accomplish that?
>
> You can do it using a master document, for example the one created in
> the step of generating chapter files. (I prefer to do it manually.)
> If you do use a master document, then I recommend exporting the book
> to ODT after the book is compiled, so you have one file. There are
> some more steps after that to facilitate the publishing process
>
> Later today I will zip up the master doc and chapter files for the
> AOO4.1 book, some of which contain notes on what I know needs to be
> done, and some of which have been partially updated by me already
> (rewriting, corrections, new screenshots). I didn't mark changes when
> I was doing it, because I wasn't expecting at that point to share the
> draft. I'll put that zip file on my website and let you know when
> it's there. (I'm not interested in working out how to use GitHub.)
>
> Regards, Jean

No problem Jean I an take care of that on my end. Thank you very much
that will be a great help in getting the book updated more quickly.

Regards
Keith

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 2/5/2021 8:41 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
> Here is the zip file I mention in my last paragraph below.
> Some tweaking of footers and styles may be needed. No template is
> associated, but it could be a good idea to create one and base all the
> chapters and the odm on it.
> http://taming-apacheopenoffice.com/downloads/AOO41GS.zip
>
> Jean

Thank you very much jean. I do have a template already, based on the 3.3
docs. I wish you well in all your endeavors, and that you have a
wonderful 2021.

Regards
Keith.

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.