Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by dayu <sd...@163.com> on 2017/11/02 05:59:41 UTC

Why Cassandra need full repair after incremental repair

Hello everyone,

I have used cassandra for a while, the version is 3.0.9. I have a question why does cassandra still need full repair after used incremental repair?

the full repair takes too long time. And I have searched a lot, but didn’t found any suitable answer.

Can anyone answer my question, thank you!

Dayu Shen

Re:Re: Why Cassandra need full repair after incremental repair

Posted by dayu <sd...@163.com>.
Thanks for your reply, Blake
So what's your advise, as you say the incremental repair has some flaws, should i use it mixed with full repair or just run full repair only ?

Dayu

At 2017-11-02 20:42:14, "Blake Eggleston" <be...@apple.com> wrote:
Because in theory, corruption of your repaired dataset is possible, which incremental repair won’t fix.

In practice pre-4.0 incremental repair has some flaws that can bring deleted data back to life in some cases, which this would address.

You should also evaluate whether pre-4.0 incremental repair is saving you time. The same flaws can cause *a lot* of over streaming, which may negate the benefit of repairing only the unrepaired data.

On Nov 2, 2017, at 2:17 AM, dayu <sd...@163.com> wrote:

https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsRepairNodesWhen.html
<image.png>
So you means i am misleading by this statements. The full repair only needed when node failure + replacement, or adding a datacenter. right?

At 2017-11-02 15:54:49, "kurt greaves" <ku...@instaclustr.com> wrote:

Where are you seeing this? If your incremental repairs work properly, full repair is only needed in certain situations, like after node failure + replacement, or adding a datacenter.

Re: Why Cassandra need full repair after incremental repair

Posted by Blake Eggleston <be...@apple.com>.

Posted by kurt greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.