Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Konstantin Kudryavtsev <ku...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/04 14:16:44 UTC

Unable to run Spark 1.0 SparkPi on HDP 2.0

Hi all,

I stuck in issue with runing spark PI example on HDP 2.0

I downloaded spark 1.0 pre-build from http://spark.apache.org/downloads.html
(for HDP2)
The run example from spark web-site:
./bin/spark-submit --class org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi     --master
yarn-cluster --num-executors 3 --driver-memory 2g --executor-memory 2g
--executor-cores 1 ./lib/spark-examples-1.0.0-hadoop2.2.0.jar 2

I got error:
Application application_1404470405736_0044 failed 3 times due to AM
Container for appattempt_1404470405736_0044_000003 exited with exitCode: 1
due to: Exception from container-launch:
org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ExitCodeException:
at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.runCommand(Shell.java:464)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.run(Shell.java:379)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ShellCommandExecutor.execute(Shell.java:589)
at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.DefaultContainerExecutor.launchContainer(DefaultContainerExecutor.java:195)
at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.launcher.ContainerLaunch.call(ContainerLaunch.java:283)
at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.launcher.ContainerLaunch.call(ContainerLaunch.java:79)
at
at
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
.Failing this attempt.. Failing the application.

Unknown/unsupported param List(--executor-memory, 2048,
--executor-cores, 1, --num-executors, 3)
Usage: org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.ApplicationMaster [options]
  --jar JAR_PATH       Path to your application's JAR file (required)
  --class CLASS_NAME   Name of your application's main class (required)

...bla-bla-bla

any ideas? how can I make it works?

Thank you,
Konstantin Kudryavtsev

Re: Unable to run Spark 1.0 SparkPi on HDP 2.0

Posted by vs <vi...@gmail.com>.
The Hortonworks Tech Preview of Spark is for Spark on YARN. It does not
require Spark to be installed on all nodes manually. When you submit the
Spark assembly jar it will have all its dependencies. YARN will instantiate
Spark App Master & Containers based on this jar.

Re: Unable to run Spark 1.0 SparkPi on HDP 2.0

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:01 AM, DB Tsai <db...@dbtsai.com> wrote:

> Actually, the one needed to install the jar to each individual node is
> standalone mode which works for both MR1 and MR2. Cloudera and
> Hortonworks currently support spark in this way as far as I know.

(CDH5 uses Spark on YARN.)

Re: Unable to run Spark 1.0 SparkPi on HDP 2.0

Posted by DB Tsai <db...@dbtsai.com>.
Actually, the one needed to install the jar to each individual node is
standalone mode which works for both MR1 and MR2. Cloudera and
Hortonworks currently support spark in this way as far as I know.

For both yarn-cluster or yarn-client, Spark will distribute the jars
through distributed cache and each executor can find the jars there.

Posted by Konstantin Kudryavtsev <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chester,

Thank you very much, it is clear now - just two different way to support
spark on acluster

Thank you,
Konstantin Kudryavtsev

Posted by "Chester @work" <ch...@alpinenow.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kudryavtsev <ku...@gmail.com>.
thank you Krishna!

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.
Konstantin,

   1. You need to install the hadoop rpms on all nodes. If it is Hadoop 2,
   the nodes would have hdfs & YARN.
   2. Then you need to install Spark on all nodes. I haven't had experience

Posted by Konstantin Kudryavtsev <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert James <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kudryavtsev <ku...@gmail.com>.