Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net> on 2002/02/15 17:36:31 UTC

Determining User Connection Speed

Is there a way to determine the speed a user is connected to the internet at
from within a servlet?

Jim Urban
Product Manager
Netsteps Inc.
Suite 505E
1 Pierce Pl.
Itasca, IL  60143
Voice:  (630) 250-3045 x2164
Fax:  (630) 250-3046

Re: Determining User Connection Speed

Posted by Kevin McBrearty <ke...@atg.ca>.
www.cyscape.com

Jim Urban wrote:

>Is there a way to determine the speed a user is connected to the internet at
>from within a servlet?
>
>Jim Urban
>Product Manager
>Netsteps Inc.
>Suite 505E
>1 Pierce Pl.
>Itasca, IL  60143
>Voice:  (630) 250-3045 x2164
>Fax:  (630) 250-3046
>

>--

Kevin McBrearty
ATG Automation Technologies Group Ltd.

Re: Determining User Connection Speed

Posted by "Christopher K. St. John" <ck...@distributopia.com>.
Jim Urban wrote:

> Our clients run our application on both the internet and intranet.
>
> If we could tell when a user is on a dialup (slow) connection we could
> compress the data and not compressing it for those on a LAN connection.

 If it's an intranet then (as mentioned in other posts) the
dialups probably have predictable IP's. You'd have to maintain
a table of which IP ranges were know to be dialups, though.

 Measuring the connection speed is difficult, because a
momentary slowdown in the local LAN could make it appear
that a LAN connection was a dialup connection. Also, what
do you time? With buffering, your servlet is never really
sure if it's written the data to a client or just to the
buffers.

 Random ideas: Maybe a little piece of (shudder) Javascript
on the client side that measures how long it takes to
download the first page, then sends that back to the server?
Maybe a checkbox on the login? Just ask them?

--
Christopher St. John cks@distributopia.com
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com

RE: Determining User Connection Speed

Posted by Ricky Leung <ri...@booksense.com>.
To determine one's net speed, I guess you can write up something to send out
a 100k file and calculate how long it took the user to download the file,
but that still slows down LAN users.  The more elegant way is to separate by
the domain or IP group since LAN users have predictable net configurations
while everyone else you set to compress.

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
Our clients run our application on both the internet and intranet.  The
users who use the application on the intranet are usually on a 100MB (LAN)
network directly attached to the application server.  For these users the
application really hums.  For those on the internet, using 33kb or 58kb
dialup connections, the application is very slow downloading data.  We have
experimented with sending back the data compressed with mixed results.  That
is, the dialup users see a significant drop in download time while the
intranet (100MB LAN) users actually see a slow down in performance do to the
additional time needed to compress and uncompress the data.

If we could tell when a user is on a dialup (slow) connection we could
compress the data and not compressing it for those on a LAN connection.

Jim

Posted by "Christopher K. St. John" <ck...@distributopia.com>.