Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2008/04/03 19:07:45 UTC

RC1 on Saturday afternoon

Now that Mike is almost finished with the mergeinfo improvements, and
they are nominated for 1.5.  I'd like to propose that we roll RC1 this
weekend.  If there aren't objections, I'll roll it Saturday afternoon (CDT)

Please review STATUS in the next day or two, so that RC1 can be as
complete as possible.

-Hyrum

Re: RC1 on Saturday afternoon

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>> Now that Mike is almost finished with the mergeinfo improvements, and
>> they are nominated for 1.5.  I'd like to propose that we roll RC1 this
>> weekend.  If there aren't objections, I'll roll it Saturday afternoon
>> (CDT)
>>
>> Please review STATUS in the next day or two, so that RC1 can be as
>> complete as possible.
>
> With a flurry of activity today, STATUS is looking pretty clean.  There
> are a couple of remaining items, the foremost of which is the r30215
> group.  I'm still planning on rolling tomorrow afternoon, but I'd like
> to make sure that the r30215 group makes it into the RC.  Please review
> and vote!

We are so close.

In the process of merging to and testing the 1.5.x branch today, we
found a couple more issues.  The fixes have been added to STATUS for
review.  r30368 addresses an abort() with --reintegrate, and r29167
addresses a JavaHL test failure.  The latter may require a bit of work
to merge, so I'm going to punt for the evening, and rc1 on Monday morning.

Thanks again to the several people who worked hard today to get us to
this point.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> "Mark Phippard" <ma...@gmail.com> writes:
>  >>    http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=136891
>  >>
>  >>  I'm still reviewing the r30215 group, so am not dealing with above yet.
>  >>  But it affects today's roll, I think.
>  >
>  > I cannot see holding back the RC1 for that change.  We do not even
>  > know if the change will be made, or what the side-effects will be etc.
>
>  I think I agree, in that I don't believe renames to be very common on
>  maintenance branches.  If we can fix this for 1.5.1, that's enough.
>  (But I'd first like to know if David Glasser has any more serious
>  consequences in mind for shipping 1.5.0 with this unaddressed.)

reintegrate isn't for maintenance branches, it's for feature branches.
 But yeah, I do think at the very least it's worth changing the API to
separate the read-only information gathering from "actually do the
merge", which would be a pre-1.5.0 issue.  (We could then relax the
constraint itself inside the svn client in a patch release, perhaps.)

I don't have a strong feeling about how this should affect RC release.

--dave

David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: RC1 on Saturday afternoon

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> "Mark Phippard" <ma...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What I was trying to say, was then when I read David's email I did not
>  > associate it with him saying that he thought we needed to hold RC1 for
>  > this.  Anyway, I responded in that thread with some more thoughts.
>
>  Well, "RC" really means "no known issues that we would't be willing to
>  make the general release with".  I feel like to release an RC while
>  having plans to further tweak stuff is just playing a name game: we
>  might as well call it beta3 or whatever.  The point of an RC is that the
>  only tweaks we make now are for bugs found in the RC, and that we didn't
>  know about before the RC.

Well, I mentioned in the other thread that I am not sure this is
1.5-material anyway.  After all, there is not even any code committed
for it.  I'd rather not make API changes after we make an RC too, but
are we even convinced a change is forthcoming, and that it does not
bring a new can of worms with it?  And, when all is said and done, it
is just more special-casing and more "sugar".  So I say we go ahead
with the RC1, and if a change is made that is really compelling to
include in the GA then we consider it.  Otherwise it would go in 1.6.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: RC1 on Saturday afternoon

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"David Glasser" <gl...@davidglasser.net> writes:
>> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
>>  <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>  > Now that Mike is almost finished with the mergeinfo improvements, and they
>>  > are nominated for 1.5.  I'd like to propose that we roll RC1 this weekend.
>>  > If there aren't objections, I'll roll it Saturday afternoon (CDT)
>>  >
>>  >  Please review STATUS in the next day or two, so that RC1 can be as complete
>>  > as possible.
>>
>>  I'd like to see r30233 and a DAV expert auditing for similar problems
>>  in RC1.  It's a pretty serious regression (which bit one of my
>>  company's projects and made the whole team unable to update until we
>>  came up with a workaround).
>
> Oops, I meant r30161, not r30233.

+1 on the Saturday RC1, and I'll commit to reviewing the above tomorrow.

-K

Re: RC1 on Saturday afternoon

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.