Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Sherman <ad...@teachandtravel.com> on 2002/10/03 16:18:15 UTC

Basic Templating Recommendations?

I've tried asking this a few times, but I think I haven't been clear.

I need a simple way to have requests converted into calls to Tiles
definitions.

So, requests like "/pages/pageone.thtml", would get turned into a call
to the tile "pageone". "/pages/main/pagetwo.thtml" => "main.pageone", etc.

I thought creating an Action that would figure out the defintion based
on the request URI, using the ideas in
"org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.DefinitionDispatcherAction".

However, I've just read that you can't have multiple servlet-mappings.
Also, I feel that my approach isn't great.

Please, I know people must be doing something for the many "generic"
html pages on their dynamic sites, ideas?

Thank you,

A.

--
Adam Sherman
Software Developer

Re: Basic Templating Recommendations?

Posted by Adam Sherman <ad...@teachandtravel.com>.
Phase Web and Multimedia wrote:
> I don't understand what you are asking. With struts you can specify the
> template you want to use by placing a tiles definition in the forward
> mappings. It will map you request url to a definition. Just make sure that
> everything is happening through struts controller and map you forward to
> tiles definitions. Have you tried nesting definition in your tiles-def or
> using the inheritance feature?

Basically, I've got a bunch of pages in a site that are static. I need a
simple way to template them.

I would like to use Tiles, but I don't want to have links to
"tiles?def=main.index" and such. I want links to look like below.

So, I'm asking about recommendations to do simple templating of static
content, in conjunction with a dynamic site built using Struts. (So I
want to reuse the tiles.)

Thanks for your help,

A.

Posted by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws>.
I don't understand what you are asking. With struts you can specify the
template you want to use by placing a tiles definition in the forward
mappings. It will map you request url to a definition. Just make sure that
everything is happening through struts controller and map you forward to
tiles definitions. Have you tried nesting definition in your tiles-def or
using the inheritance feature?

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245