Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/01 22:06:34 UTC

Encryption at rest?

Hi,

Does Kafka support encrypting data at rest? During my AJUG presentation
someone asked if the files could be encrypted to address PII needs?

Thanks,

Chris

RE: Encryption at rest?

Posted by "Sybrandy, Casey" <Ca...@Six3Systems.com>.
Hello,

IIRC, no, it does not.  Where I work, one team had the same issue and built some custom code to handle the encryption and decryption of messages at the producer and consumer.  However, you have to take key management into account as once a message is written to the broker, you can't decrypt/re-encrypt to change the key.  This can be an issue if you have to replay messages.