Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Zhenhua Guo <je...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/07 18:44:20 UTC

Support for different users and different installation directories on different machines?

It seems that currently Hadoop assumes that it is installed under the
same directory using the same userid on different machines.
Currently, following two bullets cannot be done without hacks (correct
me if I am wrong):
1) install Hadoop as different users on different machines
2) Hadoop is installed under different directories.

Anybody had the same problem? How did you solve it?
Thanks!

Gerald

Re: Support for different users and different installation directories on different machines?

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.
On Nov 7, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Zhenhua Guo wrote:

> It seems that currently Hadoop assumes that it is installed under the
> same directory using the same userid on different machines.
> Currently, following two bullets cannot be done without hacks (correct
> me if I am wrong):
> 1) install Hadoop as different users on different machines
> 2) Hadoop is installed under different directories.
>
> Anybody had the same problem? How did you solve it?

	The start and stop scripts have directory layout assumptions.  The alternative is to use hadoop-daemon.sh to start/stop manually each service on each node.  To work around different users, you might need to modify the members list of the supergroup.  But I don't remember if that is necessary or not.

	It should be noted that using different users and different directory layouts is not recommended and you will likely end up being very very frustrated.