Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Hill <Th...@t-online.de> on 2011/04/26 20:44:38 UTC

Tolerate expired certificates

Hi,
I am using clientAuth on Tomcat 5.5.30, JVM version 1.6.0_21-b06 from
Sun on Linux. The client certificates are self-generated and signed as I
am acting as CA for the client certificates. Authentication is working
as expected until the certificate expiry date is reached which is when I
am getting "ssl_error_certificate_unknown_alert" errors returned and the
connection is refused. I would like Tomcat to be more tolerant and
continue accepting the certificate even after its expiration. Is there a
way to change the configuration such that this can be achieved?
Note: Sun's JSSE implementation by default (in contrast to IBM's)
accepts expired self-signed certificates - I also found this to be the
case when my Java application is communicating direct with an Apache
Derby Data Base Server running SSL. I would like the same tolerance and
behaviour be evidenced when connecting via Tomcat in a web/browser based
application environment.

Thanks
Thomas

Re: Tolerate expired certificates

Posted by Thomas Hill <Th...@t-online.de>.
Chris,
many thanks for your explanaitions on OpenSSL. The hoster is now running
Tomcat using Sun's JDK JSSE implementation and everything is working as
I wanted, i.e. client certificates can be used post their expiration date.
I have tested with FireFox and assume other browsers will show the same
results, but will need to double-check this still.

Regards
Thomas

Posted by Chris Beckey <cb...@gmail.com>.
"Are you confident OpenSSL ..."

Posted by Thomas Hill <Th...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Chris Beckey <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Hill <Th...@t-online.de>.
Christhoper,

thanks for your continued support. I am glad that, now with my hosted
server using the Sun JSSE implementation, everything is working as I
wanted and I do not have to try using a different trust manager (which I
am afraid would have been a too technical task for me).

Regards

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tolerate expired certificates

Posted by Thomas Hill <Th...@t-online.de>.