Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> on 2007/01/31 16:10:51 UTC

[VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

This is the formal vote to accept the J2G codebase and bring it through
incubation (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=116906208022256&w=2)
The final destination is to be part of the geronimo devtool subproject.
(see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=116958894929809&w=2)

The code donation is located at:

[ ] +1 lets bring it in, this is great
[ ]  0 do what ever you want, not my cup of tea
[ ] -1 keep it out of our sight, I have a good reason

Optional
[ ] I'm willing to mentor this project while it is in incubation
[ ] I'm willing to champion the effort while it is in incubation

Committers' votes are binding, all other votes will be duly noted

Best regards
Filip

Re: [VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
  +1 lets bring it in, this is great

Gianny

Posted by "Christopher M. Cardona" <ch...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 lets bring it in, this is great

Best wishes,
chris

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
+1

-David

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Whoops...I might also add...

[X] I'm willing to champion the effort while it is in incubation

But...I am not sure I am allowed to :/

If I can, I will :-)

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1 lets bring it in

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
> [ X ] +1 lets bring it in, this is great
> [ X ] I'm willing to mentor this project while it is in incubation

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jeffrey!

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Jeffrey Faelnar <jf...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Faelnar <jf...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Here's the process :

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
[ X] +1 lets bring it in, this is great

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 lets bring it in, this is great

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Based on the comments and clarification by Geir I'm +1.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> +1 to accept the donation
>
> I don't think we need to "incubate" the code as FWIU it is a pure
> donation, and therefore goes through the much simpler ip clearance path.
that sounds great, makes everything smoother, we'll work on getting that
taken care of and will update anything that is needed to the JIRA item

Filip

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1 to accept the donation

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
+1

Vamsi

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
> [X] +1 lets bring it in, this is great
> [ ]  0 do what ever you want, not my cup of tea
> [ ] -1 keep it out of our sight, I have a good reason

Cheers
Prasad

Re: [VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 31, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

> That's all we want, vote on the donation, then everything else
> follows. No point in us changing copyrights and do all the other
> stuff until the vote is there.
> there is an incubator SVN, if we don't need that for this donation,
> then even better

OK. I'm +1.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 1, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> Filip,
>> OK. Now I'm confused.
>>
>> Do you want Geronimo to accept a code donation? Or do you want to
>> start a new project in incubator? I thought it was the former (and
>> I'm pretty sure you do, too).
>>
>> The process IIUC is roughly
>>
>> 1. Geronimo votes to accept the donation
>> 2. The Geronimo project fills out some paperwork (update an html
>> page and fill out the IP Clearance form -- http://
>> incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html)
>> 3. The Incubator PMC is notified of the donation and given 48
>> hours to raise any objections.
>
> The Incubator is always involved for any large, existing, external
> codebase, even if it is simply to check the IP clearance
> issues. This is Filip's intent, afaik.

In which case there's no mentoring needed.  The PMC needs to fill out
the form accurately, as in doing so, they will be reminded of (and
record the status of) all significant IP-related issues in accepting
the contribution.

geir

Re: [VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RESULT] VOTE J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
I say go ahead and commit it, and I can run through add fix the
manifests if you want, should take like 5 min using the manifest editor.

-sachin

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
In order to follow proper convention, the package names need to start
with the plugin id and the plugin id should be organization + product
+ plugin so in our case...

plugin id: org.apache.geronimo.j2g.someIdForThisSpecificPlugin

and all packages within that plugin should start with the pluginId.

-sachin

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Feb 22, 2007, at 12:36 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> BTW,
> One thing I noticed in the new attachment is that the java package
> names have been changed from com.ibm.j2g to org.apache.apps.j2g.
> That's an improvement, I think.

I think org.apache.geronimo.tools.j2g would probably make more
sense.  We can do that refactoring afterwards though.

> But I wanted to mention this in context of this
> thread in case anyone has concerns about it.   Also, the page footer
> on some of the documentation says "IBM Confidential".  That was
> probably just an oversight but I don't think those docs should be
> committed to SVN unless the contributor removes the footer.

I agree with removing the Confidential part.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Added an xml here:

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dims for applying the final patch to the ip clearance form.  I
notified general@incubator and if there are no objections will commit
the J2G code to sandbox after the timeframe for lazy consensus has
expired (which I was just informed is 72 rather than 48 hours).

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dims.  Now that the paperwork has been ack'd here's the final
patch for the IP clearance form.  Once that's in place I'll notify
general@incubator that we're ready to move forward with checking the
code into SVN.

Best wishes,
Paul

Index: site-author/ip-clearance/geronimo-2743-ibm-covalent-j2g.xml
--- site-author/ip-clearance/geronimo-2743-ibm-covalent-j2g.xml
(revision 518229)
+++ site-author/ip-clearance/geronimo-2743-ibm-covalent-j2g.xml (working copy)
@@ -94,7 +94,7 @@
 </th>
-                                                       <td>Not yet done
+                                                       <td>March-13-2007
make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
 been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 5, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> Thanks Jeffrey for updating the JIRA attachment with the ASF copyright
> headers.  Looks good.
>
> The next item in the IP clearance form I'm looking at is:
> "Check and make sure that all items depended upon by the project is
> covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache,
> BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially
> the same terms."
>
> The J2G zip contains a few non-ASF jars.  I think these are all BSD
> compatible, anyone disagree?
>    dom4j-1.6.1.jar
>    jaxen-1.1-beta-6.jar
>    junit-3.8.1.jar

I would assume junit is a build time dependency. We already embed
jaxen in Geronimo. dom4j looks ok.

> I'm not sure about this one:
>    pull-parser-2.1.10.jar
>
> Some googling turned up this license which looks BSD compatible:
>    http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/xsoap/xpp/download/
> PullParser2/LICENSE.txt
> Anyone familiar with PullParser know if this is the right one?

Ya. Looks ok. We currently include xpp3 (also produced by IU Extreme!
Lab). Looks like the same license...

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Doing this today Filip.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Filip,

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Checked in.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
dims,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Feb 19, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> Matt, committers can certainly help. However, either an officer
> (you) or an ASF member (Dims or Geir) will need to fill out and
> submit the IP Clearance form -- http://incubator.apache.org/ip-
> clearance/ip-clearance-template.html. Also, the software grant form
> needs to be acknowledged by the ASF secretary (or another ASF
> officer).

I figured it would be one of the three of us :)  although the train
seemed to be stopped at Copyright station.

Re: [RESULT] VOTE J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I agree here and just let me know anything I can do to help as well.

Jeff

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Malgeri <mm...@us.ibm.com>.
Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote on 02/19/2007 06:47:45 AM:

> So, we voted this monster in and accepted the code base.   At this
> point, per Geir's note in this thread Noted below:
>

>  > Here's the process :
>  >
>  > 1) Contributor offers code      *Complete*
>  >
>  > 2) Project decides to accept or reject code.  Formally, this is
> the PMC, but everyone should chime in.   *Complete* per vote below
>  >
>  > 3) Contributor provides CCLA
> *Complete* CCLA located in JIRA
>
>  >     Cleans up code to remove copyright statements
> *Outstanding* Need a volunteer here.  I think ideally the contributor
> would accomplish this step and post an updated file in the JIRA with
> this work completed.
>
>  >     And puts the standard apache file header in place.
> *Outstanding* Really same as above.  Needs to have a committer review
> this so need a new volunteer here.
>
>  >
>  > 4) Project accepts code contribution and registers the code
> contribution w/ the incubator with an ip_clearance form :  http://
> svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/
> *Outstanding*  We've already accepted the code through this vote.
> This is the mechanics of getting the code into Apache.  I think the
> committer noted above should do this as well.
>
> At this point I think Filip would take care of the Copyrights

My team will take the lead and take care or the Copyrights and submit a
patched bundle.
Michael Malgeri

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Filip, let me know if you need anything fro me.  Thanks for
spearheading this.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Here is the result:

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

> This is the formal vote to accept the J2G codebase and bring it
> through incubation (see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-
> dev&m=116906208022256&w=2)
> The final destination is to be part of the geronimo devtool
> subproject.
> (see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-
> dev&m=116958894929809&w=2)
>
> The code donation is located at:
>
> [ ] +1 lets bring it in, this is great
> [ ]  0 do what ever you want, not my cup of tea
> [ ] -1 keep it out of our sight, I have a good reason
>
> Optional
> [ ] I'm willing to mentor this project while it is in incubation
> [ ] I'm willing to champion the effort while it is in incubation
>
> Committers' votes are binding, all other votes will be duly noted
>
> Best regards
> Filip

-sachin

Re: [VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
+1 lets bring it in, this is great

Thanks,
      Aaron

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
Hi,

It's already tallied, but just for the record.

> [X] +1 lets bring it in, this is great

> [X] I'm willing to mentor this project while it is in incubation

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: [VOTE] J2G Conversion tool acceptance

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
[X] +1 lets bring it in, this is great

Cheers!
Anita

--- Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:

> This is the formal vote to accept the J2G codebase and bring it
> through
> incubation (see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=116906208022256&w=2)
> The final destination is to be part of the geronimo devtool
> subproject.
> (see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=116958894929809&w=2)
>
> The code donation is located at:
>
> [ ] +1 lets bring it in, this is great
> [ ]  0 do what ever you want, not my cup of tea
> [ ] -1 keep it out of our sight, I have a good reason
>
> Optional
> [ ] I'm willing to mentor this project while it is in incubation
> [ ] I'm willing to champion the effort while it is in incubation
>
> Committers' votes are binding, all other votes will be duly noted
>
> Best regards
> Filip

Never Miss an Email