Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2002/11/14 21:18:50 UTC

Re: odd headers with Apache::add_version_component()

Josh Chamas wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm looking to get Apache::ASP to insert itself into the module
> Server tokens with the add_version_component() API, so I call
> it like this:
>
> package Apache::ASP
>    &Apache::add_version_component("Apache::ASP/$VERSION");
> 1;
>
> but then it becomes the first header on the list!, and I do
> not want it to look like it is the actual web server itself...

from what I remember, this method is very strange - it depends lots on
how your server is set up. for instance, whether you're using DSO
(which breaks down the interpreter on restarts) and/or whether you
have PerlFreshRestart On.  both of these behaviors seem to affect the
order of the tokens.

the reason I know this is a few private emails between doug and I
after this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-cvs&m=99453039711626&w=2

the box I wrote the book on worked just fine, placing the token at the
end like we illustrate.  that one happened to be static without
PerlFreshRestart on linux.  go figure.

>   Server: Apache::ASP/2.49 Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.2.3 mod_perl/1.27
> Perl/v5.8.0 mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6g
>
> So, how can I use this method correctly, so that Apache::ASP ends
> up near the end of the server tokens?
>
> BTW, I dug up this method from the mod_perl Cookbook
> very good examples, http://www.modperlcookbook.org/

thanks :)

HTH

--Geoff

Re: odd headers with Apache::add_version_component()

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> Even if I can get this to work through certain config tweaks,
> I will not add this to Apache::ASP as I would need this to be
> correct for all user configs, not just mine.  I do not want to
> preempt the Apache/... header!
>
> Thanks for the follow up.  Maybe I'll revist this in MP2.

sure.

it's really a shame about this one, since it's a nice feature.  maybe
somebody will revisit it in mod_perl core one day.

you know, you make a conscious decision to write about how things are
documented/expected to behave, even when you know there are bugs, and
then...

:)

--Geoff

Re: odd headers with Apache::add_version_component()

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> from what I remember, this method is very strange - it depends lots on
> how your server is set up. for instance, whether you're using DSO (which
> breaks down the interpreter on restarts) and/or whether you have
> PerlFreshRestart On.  both of these behaviors seem to affect the order
> of the tokens.

I am not using DSO, but it is enabled.

When I set PerlFreshRestart On, I do get the header in the right place,
but its also still in the wrong place!

   Server: Apache::ASP/2.49 Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.2.3 mod_perl/1.27 Perl/v5.8.0 Apache::ASP/2.49 mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6g

At least we are a step closer.

Even if I can get this to work through certain config tweaks,
I will not add this to Apache::ASP as I would need this to be
correct for all user configs, not just mine.  I do not want to
preempt the Apache/... header!

Thanks for the follow up.  Maybe I'll revist this in MP2.

Regards,

Josh