Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Priya Ch <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/04 13:03:04 UTC

Fwd: Writing streaming data to cassandra creates duplicates

Yes...union would be one solution. I am not doing any aggregation hence
reduceByKey would not be useful. If I use groupByKey, messages with same
key would be obtained in a partition. But groupByKey is very expensive
operation as it involves shuffle operation. My ultimate goal is to write
the messages to cassandra. if the messages with same key are handled by
different streams...there would be concurrency issues. To resolve this i
can union dstreams and apply hash parttioner so that it would bring all the
same keys to a single partition or do a groupByKey which does the same.

As groupByKey is expensive, is there any work around for this ?

Re: Writing streaming data to cassandra creates duplicates

Posted by gaurav sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.
Ideally the 2 messages read from kafka must differ on some parameter
atleast, or else they are logically same

As a solution to your problem, if the message content is same, u cud create
a new field UUID, which might play the role of partition key while
inserting the 2 messages in Cassandra

Msg1 - UUID1, GAURAV, 100
Msg2 - UUID2, PRIYA, 200
Msg3 - UUID1, GAURAV, 100

Now when inserting in Cassandra 3 different rows would be created, pls
note, that even though Msg1, Msg3 have same content, they are inserted as 2
separate rows in Cassandra, since they differ on UUID,which is partition
key in my column family

Regards,
Gaurav
(please excuse spelling mistakes)