Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David McCormick <da...@unc.edu> on 2002/05/29 21:27:13 UTC

Newbie problem(?):Deployment problems running FopServlet

I've searched the archives for an answer to this without any luck, so....

I've deployed the sample FopServlet on Tomcat 4.0 and it works just fine.
When I deploy it to Oracle9iAS (Orion), I get this message:

org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: Root element must be root, not (none):
        at org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException.<init>(FOPException.java:28)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:271)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startElement(SAXParser.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.callStartElement(XMLParser.java(Compil
ed Code))
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(XMLDocumentScanne
r.java:1831)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XM
LDocumentScanner.java:991)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.
java:381)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1208)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:481)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.run(Driver.java:554)
        at FopServlet.renderFO(FopServlet.java:96)
        at FopServlet.doGet(FopServlet.java:64)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
Code))
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
Code))
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
Code))
        at com.evermind[Oracle9iAS (1.0.2.2) Containers for
J2EE].server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.invoke(ServletRequestDispatcher.j
ava(Compiled Code))
        at com.evermind[Oracle9iAS (1.0.2.2) Containers for
J2EE].server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.forwardInternal(ServletRequestDis
patcher.java(Compiled Code))
        at com.evermind[Oracle9iAS (1.0.2.2) Containers for
J2EE].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.processRequest(HttpRequestHandler.java(
Compiled Code))
        at com.evermind[Oracle9iAS (1.0.2.2) Containers for
J2EE].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHandler.java(Compiled
Code))
        at com.evermind[Oracle9iAS (1.0.2.2) Containers for
J2EE].util.ThreadPoolThread.run(ThreadPoolThread.java(Compiled Code))

It's the same fo file and the same servlet, so I assume it's a version
control problem with the jars. Has anybody seen this before and could you
point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

David

Re: Newbie problem(?):Deployment problems running FopServlet

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
David McCormick wrote:
> I've searched the archives for an answer to this without any luck, so....
>
> I've deployed the sample FopServlet on Tomcat 4.0 and it works just fine.
> When I deploy it to Oracle9iAS (Orion), I get this message:
>
> org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: Root element must be root, not (none):
> It's the same fo file and the same servlet, so I assume it's a version
> control problem with the jars. Has anybody seen this before and could you
> point me in the right direction?

It's not a problem with the servlet. The transformation has
failed, it seems to have output an empty result. This could be
because of a problem with the XSLT, a configuration problem
(maybe namespace support has to be enabled), or you have hit one
of the bugs in the Oracle XSLT processor. The Oracle environment
has a lot of oddities, probably because of it's extreme
optimisation for speed. I'd not be surprised if you missed
some exceptions. Ask Oracle for assistance in order to get
the transformation running.

J.Pietschmann