Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2009/06/29 02:16:05 UTC

proposal for cleaning up 2.x series releases / trees

With the 2.2.0 release coming up, I've started to find the amount of
merging (and consistency of it) is becoming harder, and I think it
might be inevitable that there'll be confusion from users about what
release is the right one to use.

I'd like to suggest the following:
- remove the 2.1.1 version from JIRA and remove the 2.1.x SVN branch -
there seems no point in releasing 2.1.1 if 2.2.0 is out (2.2.1 could
be released for the fixes made that aren't on the RC branch).
- promote the 2.2.0 as the stable release on the site and push all
bugfix work towards 2.2.x
- a 2.0.11 release to get those sticking to 2.0.x the 37 fixes already
committed there.
- declare 2.0.x EOL after that release and delete the branch

Any concerns with this approach?

- Brett

Re: proposal for cleaning up 2.x series releases / trees

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+4

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I'll write this up in the site docs, but for now I'll explain here:

There are a couple of reasons for moving 2.1 => 2.2 directly. First,
we've moved to a requirement on JDK 1.5. While we had decided to do this
for 2.1.0, we never enforced it or changed the Maven binaries
themselves. To keep from surprising users of 2.1.0 with an abrupt JDK
upgrade requirement in 2.1.1, we're just moving to 2.2.0.

The other reasons a probably a little more, well, gray. First, we've
removed support for version-expression resolution in the POM on
install/deploy. You can see MNG-4223 for more discussion on this and a
link to a more in-depth exploration of the issue. Also, we've introduced
some new default execution IDs for configuring goals that are bound to
the lifecycle via package mappings, and for goals executed directly from
the command line. These new executionIds represent some new assumptions
made by Maven, and conceivably could produce collisions with existing
executionIds for users. You can see MNG-3401 and MNG-3203 for more
discussion and links to documentation that will eventually land on the
Maven website.

While I understand your hesitation to move to a 2.2.0-type release, this
isn't exactly the same as a 2.0 release. Sure, there are major changes
here, but the fact is 2.1.0 was our most tested, scrutinized release to
date, and 2.2.0 builds on the two or three problems that appeared in
that release. Obviously it's up to you, but I'd highly recommend using
2.2.0.

-john

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
I'm -0 on the 2.0.11 release.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

- remove the 2.1.1 version from JIRA and remove the 2.1.x SVN branch -

+1

- promote the 2.2.0 as the stable release on the site and push all bugfix
> work towards 2.2.x

+1

- a 2.0.11 release to get those sticking to 2.0.x the 37 fixes already
> committed there.

+1

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

On 30/06/2009, at 12:54 PM, Brian Fox wrote:

> Yeah get rid of it. Is there really demand for the fixed in 2.0.11? I
> feel like it's EOL now.

There's a couple of useful things in there, and given that they've
already been merged up there it seems like a nice way to wrap up the
series.

I also get the feeling for one reason or another some people are
holding off on going past 2.0.x, so as much as anything I think it's a
good way to get the message out that it's the last 2.0.x release and
that all those fixes and more are included in 2.2.0 (which will
already be out).

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Christian Schulte wrote:

> Paul Benedict schrieb:
>> My preference is to release 2.0.11 as it is now (37 issues fixed). The
>> remaining issues should move to 2.2.1. If critical bugs remain in
>> 2.0.x, then build build a 2.0.12 issue list as people require it.
>>
>> - Paul
>>

> +1
>
> 2.0.x is the last JDK 1.4 release. Users of the GPG plugin simply cannot
> use 2.1.x.

No. 2.1.x is also JDK 1.4. That was the whole point for starting 2.2.x.

- Jörg

Re: proposal for cleaning up 2.x series releases / trees

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Jason, I apologize for misspeaking. I meant what Brian said: the
"affected" version should stay the same. It's okay to remove the "Fix"
for version which was altered to 2.2.1

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
As a user... +1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 02/07/2009, at 3:38 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 1-Jul-09, at 9:47 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Ok, for starters I've moved all the open issues from 2.0.11 to
>> 2.2.1 and am now going through them to cull them down where possible.
>>

> You need to leave the bugs raised against 2.0.x because there is no
> way around the fact that 2.0.x is going to be the dominant version
> used for quite some time. We can't just stop bug fixing the 2.0.x
> line. If you moved them all how are you going to know what applies?

There weren't any changes to the "affects" version.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 1-Jul-09, at 9:47 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Ok, for starters I've moved all the open issues from 2.0.11 to 2.2.1
> and am now going through them to cull them down where possible.

You need to leave the bugs raised against 2.0.x because there is no
way around the fact that 2.0.x is going to be the dominant version
used for quite some time. We can't just stop bug fixing the 2.0.x
line. If you moved them all how are you going to know what applies?

> I've also confirmed that the ITs pass for 2.0.11-SNAPSHOT as it is.
>
> Once I get the 2.1.x bits cleaned up (per original mail that
> everyone seems in favour of), I'll spin an RC and see what everyone
> thinks.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 02/07/2009, at 1:46 AM, John Casey wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Paul Benedict wrote:
>>> My preference is to release 2.0.11 as it is now (37 issues fixed).
>>> The
>>> remaining issues should move to 2.2.1. If critical bugs remain in
>>> 2.0.x, then build build a 2.0.12 issue list as people require it.
>>> - Paul

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

   -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: proposal for cleaning up 2.x series releases / trees

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
FYI, you can still build 1.4 projects safely in Maven 2.2.0:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-building-jdk14-on-jdk15.html

-john

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

--
Christian

Re: proposal for cleaning up 2.x series releases / trees

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Myself, I prefer to create a branch only when I need it.
If one day we need to work on 2.0.x, we'll start a new branch copied
from the last tag. We have already in SVN many branches for which we
don't know if they are useful or not.

Cheers,

Arnaud

# Arnaud Héritier
# http://blog.aheritier.net

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Hmm...

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+4 also
Cheers,

Arnaud

# Arnaud Héritier
# http://blog.aheritier.net

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> - remove the 2.1.1 version from JIRA and remove the 2.1.x SVN branch -

+1

> - promote the 2.2.0 as the stable release on the site and push all
> bugfix work towards 2.2.x

+1

> - a 2.0.11 release to get those sticking to 2.0.x the 37 fixes already
> committed there.

+1