Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com> on 2008/06/13 23:29:16 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?

Bo Berglund wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:42:46 +0200, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
>wrote:
>
> >To find out exactly what happens on one server (where it does it right)
> >and the other (where it doesn't), you should have a look at the HTTP
> >headers sent in the server response, in one case and the other.
> >
> >I'll give you what I would use, because I am a perl user, and there is a
> >utility in perl that allows to do just that.  But I am sure that there
> >are many other tools available to do the same thing.
> >
> >1) install perl if you don't have it yet.
> >2) at the command-line level, enter
> >lwp-request -m GET -Sed "http://server1/.../abc.xml.gz"
> >
> >This will show you the HTTP headers, as sent by the server1.
> >The switches -Sed will prevent the actual content to be shown.
> >
> >3) enter the same for server2
> >lwp-request -m GET -Sed "http://server2/.../abc.xml.gz"
> >
> >There should be a difference in the HTTP headers.
> >The difference will tell you (or us) where to start looking.
> >

>I don't have PERL and I am working on Windows XP so there is no Linux
>style command availabvle either...

You are using Firefox, yes? (I seem to recall that...)

If so, go get the LiveHeaders plug-in for it.
That will help you see what headers are being sent by both sites.

And just as an aside, (you don't NEED Perl) but
you can get Perl for Windows from ActiveState for free.

Just go to http://www.activestate.com/

I know they try to sell it, don't let that stop
you. You CAN download and use it for free as I
believe it is covered under GPL or a similar
license. The purchased version comes with a
physical disk and support while with the free version you are on your own.

Dragon

Re: [users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Bo Berglund wrote:

> And now the headers become this when I access a xml.gz link:
>
> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:55:40 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/4.4.7
> Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:18:16 GMT
> Etag: "5ac36-159b-89b5a184"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
> And FireFox displaye the *contents* of the gz file rather than offer
> to save it!
> BINGO!
>
> A *really* great THANK YOU! for helpong me out!

You're welcome.
My own satisfaction is that now you understand *why* it's happening.
So if something later doesn't work anymore, you can fix it.
For the full story, read :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_mime.html

[users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@telia.com>.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:59:38 +0200, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

>Add the following directive to the above section :
>  AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
>
>and try again

>> Probably now FireFox does not realize that the data are gzipped
>> anymore and tries to parse the binary compressed stream, which
>> obviously fails...
>
>Yes.  Because the server tells Firefox that the document is "text/xml"
>and Firefox believes it.  That is the right thing to do for Firefox,
>according to the corresponding Internet RFC's.
>(Unfortunately, that's not what IE does, but that is a whole separate
>story, in which I hope we don't have to get).
>
>> Have to re-enable this directive...
>
>No.  Leave this one commented out :
> > AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz
>
>But add what I indicated above to your Directory section :
>  AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
>
>Note : I am also "fishing" to find the right settings.
>But you have to do this systematically, without getting lost about what
>you add/remove, otherwise we will not know anymore.
>The important part is what the server sends as headers with the HTTP
>response.
>We must get to a situation where it sends :
>
>So that Firefox knows that is is XML, but that it is gzipped.

I think we/you got it now! :-)

I did this in the httpd.conf:

Commented out this in the genaral sections
# AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz

Made the directory look like this:

<Directory "C:/Engineering/Projects/XMLTV/XMLTVTestsite">
    Options Indexes MultiViews Includes
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
    AddType application/xml .xml.gz
    AddType text/xml .xml
</Directory>

Re: [users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@telia.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:33:12 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora)
> Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:10:29 GMT
> Etag: "14fc-b9387f40"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

André

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@telia.com>.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 00:47:03 +0200, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

>The above (the response from the server) means that your browser will
>serve the object from it's cache, so it doesn't tell us much.
>
>Clear the browser cache, get the same URL from server1 again.
>(Or press SHIFT and click the reload/refresh button of the browser).
>Then clear the browser cache again, and get it again from server2.
>Re-post the results here.

After clearing the FireFox cache:

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:33:12 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora)
Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:10:29 GMT
Etag: "14fc-b9387f40"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

GET /xmltv/svt1.svt.se_2008-06-19.xml.gz HTTP/1.1
Host: polaris
rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14
Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://polaris/xmltv/index.html

HTTP/1.x 200 OK

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Bo Berglund wrote:

>> You are using Firefox, yes? (I seem to recall that...)
>>
>> If so, go get the LiveHeaders plug-in for it.
>> That will help you see what headers are being sent by both sites.
>>

> Thanks, that was a valuable help!
> I installed it and got the headers as follows:
>
>>>From the original server:
>
> http://xmltv.tvsajten.com/xmltv/svt1.svt.se_2008-06-23.xml.gz
>
> GET /xmltv/svt1.svt.se_2008-06-23.xml.gz HTTP/1.1
> Host: xmltv.tvsajten.com
> rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14
> Accept:
> text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
> Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
> Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
> Keep-Alive: 300
> Connection: keep-alive
> Referer: http://polaris/xmltv/GetXMLTVFiles.html
> If-Modified-Since: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 04:03:42 GMT
> If-None-Match: "1395-e5aba380"

The above is the request from the browser to the server.

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@telia.com>.

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:57:14 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora)

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:00:22 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/4.4.7
Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:20:20 GMT
Etag: "55084-14fc-91160693"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

I see differences, but:
1) I don't know which are relevant for the problem of decoding the gz
files on GET.

2) I don't know how to change my Apache to provide the missing
items...

Any ideas based on this info??
What are my options on adjusting Apache to mimick the way the real
server works?

Bo Berglund