Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/17 18:15:31 UTC

Upgrading the Resource Resolver

Hi,

I'm wondering if this operation is supposed to work (tested on
org.apache.sling.launchpad.app-5-incubator and a CRX development
version at work):

1. I have org.apache.sling.jcr.resource-2.0.4-incubator.jar installed
and want to upgrade it to the latest version from Sling trunk.

2. I use the web console to install 2.0.7-SNAPSHOT, and get dependency
version issues with API and Adapter and Classloader.

3. I use the web console to install the latest SNAPSHOT versions of
those dependencies.

4. Now the dependency issues are solved, and I can start the Resource
Resolver bundle.

Unfortunately now all my HTTP requests fail with a 404 error. The
problem gets solved when I do a full restart of Sling.

Questions:

* Why did the upgrade break the HTTP requests? I would have expected
that after the upgrade the system should have been back to an
operational state without requiring a restart.

* Why does the "patch version" upgrade from 2.0.4 to 2.0.7 require
changes in dependencies? I would have expected that a patch version
upgrade would have worked as a drop-in replacement.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Upgrading the Resource Resolver

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.

Could this be https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-1163?

--
Vidar S. Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> - http://www.idium.no
Sommerrogata 13-15, N-0255 Oslo, Norway

Re: Upgrading the Resource Resolver

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if this operation is supposed to work (tested on
> org.apache.sling.launchpad.app-5-incubator and a CRX development
> version at work):
>
> 1. I have org.apache.sling.jcr.resource-2.0.4-incubator.jar installed
> and want to upgrade it to the latest version from Sling trunk.
>
> 2. I use the web console to install 2.0.7-SNAPSHOT, and get dependency
> version issues with API and Adapter and Classloader.
>
> 3. I use the web console to install the latest SNAPSHOT versions of
> those dependencies.
>
> 4. Now the dependency issues are solved, and I can start the Resource
> Resolver bundle.
>
> Unfortunately now all my HTTP requests fail with a 404 error. The
> problem gets solved when I do a full restart of Sling.
>
> Questions:
>
> * Why did the upgrade break the HTTP requests? I would have expected
> that after the upgrade the system should have been back to an
> operational state without requiring a restart.

Maybe this is related to bugs in the Apache Felix SCR used. But you are
basically right, the concept is, that it should continue to work.

Yet, if you upgrade through the web console manually uploading the
artifacts (as opposed to using the maven plugin), you have refresh the
packages manually pressing the "Refresh Packages" button on the bundles
page.

> * Why does the "patch version" upgrade from 2.0.4 to 2.0.7 require
> changes in dependencies? I would have expected that a patch version
> upgrade would have worked as a drop-in replacement.

Well, yes and no, maybe.

But actually 2.0.7-SNAPSHOT is a snapshot version towards the next
release which may well be 2.1 (probably).

And yes, you are right, we should pay more attention to versions, which
is what we will be doing for the next releases of core bundles like
engine and jcr/resource.

Regards
Felix