Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Kingston <er...@esreco.net> on 2010/11/12 16:55:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache failing to start after upgrade.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can help.  Our web server was recently scanned by a
security company to make sure we are PCI compliant.  They found two
vulnerabilities, both related to the version of apache and openssl installed
on our server.  In order to bring the server up to PCI compliance we had to
upgrade both apache and openssl.  Apache was originally version 2.2.16 and
openssl was 0.9.8n.  I upgraded apache to 2.2.17 and openssl to 1.0.0a only
to run into a problem starting Apache.  When starting apache I get the
following error....

[error] Unable to initialize TLS servername extension callback (incompatible
OpenSSL version?)

This system isn't a critical production system, but it is one that we use
periodically for various web applications.  I've exhausted every avenue of
research I can think of.  I've googled every possible permutation for this
error message and the associated applications I can think of and have not
been able to resolve this error.  I've scanned through many mail archives
and have tried all of their suggestions to no avail.  Usually when I'm
unable to find a specific solution to a problem like this, it means that
it's something simple that I've overlooked and many others haven't.  I'm at
my wits end and hope that someone here can help me.

Every document on Apache and Openssl I can find says that Apache supports
SNI from 2.2.13 and later and openSSL supports it from 0.9.8 on up.  My
system stats are as follows....

uname output....

FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #15: Sat Sep 25 15:29:11 MDT 2010

Apache version...

apache-2.2.17_1

OpenSSL version....

OpenSSL 1.0.0a 1 Jun 2010

I've reinstalled Apache and have checked the make output to be sure that it
is compiling against the new version of OpenSSL 1.0.0a.  I've checked the
output of 'ldd /usr/local/libexec/apache22/mod_ssl.so' and it has been
linked to the new OpenSSL 1.0.0a libraries.

I appreciate whatever help and suggestions anyone can give.  I look forward
to your response.  Thank you.

Eric

Re: [users@httpd] Apache failing to start after upgrade.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Justin Pasher <ju...@distribion.com> wrote:
> [...]

Just FYI on OpenSSL/FreeBSD:

OpenSSL is part of the base FreeBSD installation, there are no
packages, and all appropriate security fixes are backported to
maintained security branches. In FreeBSD 8.1/8-STABLE, the base
OpenSSL is 0.9.8n.

If you want to run a later version than that offered by your FreeBSD
version, then you can install from ports/pkg newer versions.
IIRC there is a flag you can set in /etc/make.conf to override the
base openssl, so that everything (from ports) links with the ports
version - WITH_OPENSSL_PORTS=YES

Sorry I can't help with the OP's problem - perhaps ask on
freebsd-apache@freebsd.org (+ perhaps questions@, that gets a lot of
eyeballs).

Cheers

Tom