Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/03 11:01:47 UTC

[Portlib]Moving Portlib to the top-level of Harmony? (was: [General]Should we make portlib a separate component)

Hi all,

     As discussed in the other thread, we will use portlib for java6
JDWP (maybe also java5 if it works fine on java6?) However, portlib is
now in classlib folder, which will cause some problems on build.
     I have noticed that there's a thread discussing the portlib
refactor (was: [General]Should we make portlib a separate component?),
which fits JDWP requirement (Thanks Mark!).
     As discussed, the main problem is the build structure, we need to
find a way to build both classlib and JDWP (and maybe something else)
when it is moved to top-level. As we know, module Concurrent is a
external dependant in classlib (set svn externals attribute), maybe we
shall also learn from this. Portlib can be set as a external dependant
of both classlib and JDWP which can smooth the refactor.
     As a result, the steps may come as the following:
1. make porblib a separate component and move to top-level of Harmony project
2. make portlib as a external dependant module of classlib, which
allow classlib to make nearly the same as before.
3. if any other component, like JDWP, or VM, requires the porblib to
build, it can also link the external dependant to portlib.

     However, this approach may build and create several hyport.dll/so
in vm, classlib and jdktools folders, we may find another way to
combine them into one. However, it does not require huge refactor on
makefiles in classlib.

     Any comments/suggestions? Thanks a lot.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [Portlib]Moving Portlib to the top-level of Harmony? (was: [General]Should we make portlib a separate component)

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>  Though it adds a few steps to the setup process for new developers, I
>  think we should move to the model used for common_resources by drlvm.
>  That is, require the user to checkout drlvm and common_resources and
>  provide a -Dcommon.resources.loc=path option to the drlvm ant build
>  (if there isn't a common_resources directory in the default place -
>  ../common_resources).[0]
>
>  This means that there is only one copy in the federated build and that
>  those working on (for example) classlib and jdwp can also use only a
>  single copy.
>
>  Regards,
>   Mark.
>
>  [0] We should change classlib to use common_resources like this too
>     rather than have it's own depends system.  In a momemnt of madness I
>     think I might have said I'd do this.

I think that's a good idea. It would certainly make things more simple.

-Nathan

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.