Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Pfister <sp...@getcoactive.com> on 2006/11/20 22:07:01 UTC

[users@httpd] WebDAV setup on Windows XP

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I'm trying to set up an Apache server (2.2.3, I
think) on XP and I'd like to setup WebDAV on it. Is there any documentation
on this? I can't seem to authenticate. I've got an htpasswd generated
authentication file, but it keeps wanting the username in the form
machinename\username. I'm not sure how to go beyond this point.

Thank you!

RE: [users@httpd] WebDAV setup on Windows XP

Posted by Mark Lavi <ml...@sgi.com>.
There are many other WebDAV implementations for Windows/Java/etc, see:
http://webdav.org/projects/ for commercial and open source options.
You'll find a number of packages are an editor with WebDAV abilities.

Your mileage will vary on performance since every link in the chain
between client, network, and server will impact response rates. I've
never benchmarked other clients versus Microsoft network drive WebDAV
performance against Apache, but it shouldn't be too hard to beat. :-)

--Mark

Mark Lavi, Enterprise Web Management Team @ SGI
Posted by Steve Pfister <sp...@getcoactive.com>.

  _____

Steve Pfister wrote:
> Sorry if this is a FAQ... I'm trying to set up an Apache server
(2.2.3, I
> think) on XP and I'd like to setup WebDAV on it. Is there any
> documentation on this? I can't seem to authenticate... I've got an
> htpasswd generated authentication file, but it keeps wanting the
> username in the form machinename\username. I'm not sure how to go
beyond
> this point.
>

> Thank you!

Vinay Y S
http://vinay-ys.blogspot.com

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV setup on Windows XP

Posted by Vinay Y S <vi...@gmail.com>.
Webdav in Windows products is broken beyond any hope. Even in Windows XP Pro
it doesn't work with certain combinations of updates and patches. Also, MS
Office products understand webdav. Even they don't work in all installations
as expected. Many a times they start talking FPSE.
Checkout http://greenbytes.com/
http://greenbytes.com/tech/webdav/webdav-redirector-list.html
http://greenbytes.com/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html
http://greenbytes.com/tech/webdav/webdavfaq.html

Also look at Microsoft KB articles. Search on MSDN for "webdav" "web
folders" etc.
Overall, its quite hopeless.
For your specific problems there are hacks available on the net.
specifically a module that sits before auth and (de)mangles the username.

--
Vinay

On 11/22/06, Mark Lavi <ml...@sgi.com> wrote:

> This is a well known "feature" of Windows XP Home and later editions.
>
> Workaround: use a port number after the domain, or use a trailing /. or
> a /# on any URL to use WebDAV properly in the setup wizard.
>
>     * e.g.: http://www.atarex.com:80
>     * e.g.: http://www.atarex.com/.
>     * e.g.: https://www.atarex.com/#
>
> Explanation: the :port number on the domain name, the trailing slash dot
> "/.", or slash pound "/#" at the end of the URL prevents the bug which
> interprets the resource as a SMB network drive.
>
> Additional editorial and background here:
> http://www.atarex.com/services/support/webdav-msft.shtml
>
> --Mark
> Mark Lavi, Enterprise Web Management Team @ SGI

Vinay Y S