Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2002/05/16 20:27:10 UTC

Re: greedy matching of subgroups/alternatives

In message <OF...@trilogy.ocm>, Karl_Brown@tr
ilogy.com writes:
>looking for?  Also, I don't know much about the implementation details of
>the Perl5Compiler, but is the representation I've chosen going to be
>efficient? (i.e a bunch of regexps ORed together)  There will be probably
>75-100 regular expressions all ORed together for our final implementation.

I can't speak to everything you've brought up right now, but I can say
that 75-100 OR'ed expressions aren't going to find matches very efficiently
with Perl5Matcher or Perl itself.  If you can live with 8-bit characters,
AwkMatcher should be significantly more efficient and it will always match
the longest possible match rather than the greedy Perl behavior.

daniel