Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jim Alateras <ji...@intalio.com> on 2002/04/18 06:25:37 UTC

Problem using AbstractLogEnabled

I have a class that extends AbstractLogEnabled

public class ActionRunner
    extends AbstractLogEnabled
    implements Runnable {
}

bur when I attempt to use getLogger() it always returns an NPE. Is there any
initialization that is required before I can use the logger feature.

cheers
</jima>

Re: Problem using AbstractLogEnabled

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Yes, that's by design. The container is responsible for setting the
logger on its child as the first thing after instantiation by calling
enableLogging(Logger logger). See "Developing with Avalon" for the
complete lifecycle. Other keywords: Inversion of Control.

> I have a class that extends AbstractLogEnabled
>
> public class ActionRunner
>     extends AbstractLogEnabled
>     implements Runnable {
> }
>

> bur when I attempt to use getLogger() it always returns an NPE. Is there any
> initialization that is required before I can use the logger feature.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch