Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org> on 2019/07/01 06:54:42 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Apache Local Community - how to list yourself

Thank you, Dmitriy for your comments.
Please see my response inline.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 4:38 PM Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I appreciate this action started.
>
> My experience related to FOAF files:
> I didn't know about local mentors and FOAF until I visited community
> development web site. I've tried to add, but that time it didn't work, so I
> gave up.
>
> +1 for asking people at Apache Con and
> +1 for sending some announce to committers@ to remind people about
> existence. I definitely going to try one more time.
>
> In my local area (Russia, Saint-Petersburg, and Moscow) I guess we don't
> have too many committers, so I'm not absolutely sure that monthly meetups
> could be possible. FOAF for Saint-Petersburg shows 2 committers.

Just to avoid any confusion, ALC is not about the committers monthly meetup.
ALC is a local group of Apache enthusiast (It is not mandatory to have
committers to form an ALC chapter, if they are present, it will be helpful
for that ALC chapter).

Following is the role of ALC
-- Spread the awareness on Apache in the local community.
-- Share the details about ASF, The Apache Way, and various Apache's
projects in local students, developers, and the business community.
-- Bring together project users and developers
-- Host various events for local open source lovers (at least should have
one monthly event, based on activeness on volunteers the frequency of
events can be increased).
In this event, ALC will spread the awareness of all the aspects of Apache,
also can have technical sessions on various Apache Projects (basically can
do anything to support 3 points mentioned above).

Apart from this one more advantage of this event will be, it will provide
the platform for committers from different projects (living in
the same town/city) to meet and exchange knowledge, thoughts, and ideas.
So, committers meetup is the *by-product* of the event organized by ALC :)

> Time to time I speak about How Open Source works and about The Apache Way
> in local meetups and conferences, for example here we have ~ 900 people:

Super, your presence in the ALC will be very helpful.

> https://www.meetup.com/Moscow-Apache-Ignite-Meetup/  But usually, only
> 30-60 came in person to meet up (users+committers+PMC). I saw other meetups
> related to Apache Cassandra.
>
> I definitely would be happy to come to Apache related event and could help
> to organize some in Russia.

Awesome, thanks so much for the interest.
Soon, I will start working on documenting all this information, which will
help us in proceeding further and bring the ALC in action.

P.S. Just a thought, let's not hijack this mail thread initiated by Shane
on 'how to list yourself', if you have any more query or thoughts on ALC,
we can continue our discussion about ALC on this thread [1] with subject
line '[Proposal] Apache Local Community' :)

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f81b62534a04336e8896b2e3fa521e85a339cd024e8a3cafffcdfe61@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane