Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Raymond Norton <ad...@lctn.org> on 2006/06/18 00:53:03 UTC

don't want to break anything

I have a Centos 4.x server with an rpm install of spamassasin (
spamassassin-3.0.6-1.el4). I want to upgrade it to the newest version, so
I can use sa_update for new rules. I might be missing it, but I don't see
that Centos has an rpm available that I can upgrade to. Is there a way to
remove the rpm and reinstall from source, or upgrade with an rpm, so I do
not break my server? I scan mail for 12 school districts and can't afford
for a new install to go bad.

--
Raymond Norton
LCTN

Re: don't want to break anything

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> delivered to local mail boxes, or the outside world, and my cpu is about
> pegged with the Mailscanner process. If I disable spamassassin in
> MailScanner everything works as expected???

There are a few possibilities here, all pretty much similar.

You might have a bad rule that is taking too much processor time.

You might have too many rules

You might have too many spamd children  (Or however MS does this)

You might be trying to do a huge Bayes or AWL expire on each mail scan, and
MS is killing the SA instance before it has a chance to complete.  So the
next one does the same thing.

Look to the size of your bayes/all DBs and see if they are huge.  Look at
the log and see if it looks like the SA children seem to be trying to do
bayes or awl stuff and getting killed in the middle.  You can do a manual
expire run and see if that cleans things up.

If that isn't it, loop at 'top' and see if you are swapping like crazy.
Probably not, as at least *some* mail should get thru this way.

If you are completely processor bound and it isn't an expire run, you might
have a bad rule.  Try removing any local rules files temporarily.

        Loren

Re: don't want to break anything

Posted by Raymond Norton <ad...@lctn.org>.
> Get the tar file from spamassassin.apache.org
>
> Once downloaded,
>
> rpmbuild -tb file-you-downloaded
>
> cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
>
> Install the two files.

That worked so well on one server, I did it to another! I hope the problem
I have now is an easy fix. I am running MailScanner, spamassassin,
sendmail. My server is taking in mail messages, but none are being

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Raymond Norton wrote:
> I have a Centos 4.x server with an rpm install of spamassasin (
> spamassassin-3.0.6-1.el4). I want to upgrade it to the newest version, so
> I can use sa_update for new rules. I might be missing it, but I don't see
> that Centos has an rpm available that I can upgrade to. Is there a way to
> remove the rpm and reinstall from source, or upgrade with an rpm, so I do
> not break my server? I scan mail for 12 school districts and can't afford
> for a new install to go bad.

Get the tar file from spamassassin.apache.org

Once downloaded,

rpmbuild -tb file-you-downloaded

cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

Install the two files.