Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Atle Veka <at...@flyingcroc.net> on 2006/03/11 02:22:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Dynamic proxying with mod_rewrite, problems with reverse proxy

Hi, I have run into a snag with mod_rewrite and proxying. I want to
have a RewriteRule that proxies a dynamic site (based on a map) which
works fine except that I need reverse proxying turned on. So far I have
not been able to come up with a solution. Any ideas, other than specifying
ProxyPassReverse directives (which if I have to do that I might as well
just use mod_proxy and ditch the dynamic part)?

Problems arise when the backend server sends a 301 redirect, causing the
browser to attempt to bypass the proxy as mod_rewrite isn't modifying the
301.

I'm using Apache 1.3.33 on FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Unix Systems Administrator

Re: [users@httpd] Dynamic proxying with mod_rewrite, problems with reverse proxy

Posted by Robert Ionescu <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Atle Veka wrote:
> Hi, I have run into a snag with mod_rewrite and proxying. I want to
> have a RewriteRule that proxies a dynamic site (based on a map) which
> works fine except that I need reverse proxying turned on. So far I have
> not been able to come up with a solution. Any ideas, other than specifying
> ProxyPassReverse directives (which if I have to do that I might as well
> just use mod_proxy and ditch the dynamic part)?
>
> Problems arise when the backend server sends a 301 redirect, causing the
> browser to attempt to bypass the proxy as mod_rewrite isn't modifying the
> 301.

That's exactly the job of ProxyPassReverse, mod_rewrite cannot adjust
things in the HTTP-Response, it acts only in HTTP-Request. I don't think
that there is an other way...

--
Robert

[users@httpd] Re: Dynamic proxying with mod_rewrite, problems with reverse proxy

Posted by Atle Veka <at...@flyingcroc.net>.
Trying a mid-week repost... Seems to me it would be beneficial to be able
to do reverse proxying with mod_rewrite without adding specific