Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <da...@vivare.com> on 2004/10/05 01:11:39 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Pluto 1.1 Seed Code

I've been very encouraged by the responses regarding the simplification of
Pluto for a 1.1 version.  As a result, I have refactored Pluto into what I
would like to consider "seed code" for this branch of Pluto. Currently, the
seed code passes the majority of the basic tests that are a part of the
Pluto testsuite (including portlet parameters and attributes).  I believe
that adding the seed code into SVN will enable the entire community to move
forward in this effort by:

1) Providing an example of how the refactoring/reimplementation
   might be done.

2) Providing a code base against which patches may be committed
   without effecting the up-coming release.

3) Providing a code base against which we can experiment
   with Spring and other technologies being kicked around.

4) Allowing embedders to comment on pros and cons which
   they see in the reimplementation.

5) Allowing portlet developers to comment on pros and cons
   for getting started with this new version of pluto.

6) Allowing the initial donators of Pluto to comment on
   the differences in the seed code and the original Pluto.

I would like to know how the community would like to proceed:

[ ] Commit the seed code as a branch.

[ ] Commit the seed code in the sandbox

[ ] Post the seed code somewhere else to allow people
    to review and play with it before committing

[ ] Other???

In the mean time, I will put together some documentation on what the
differences are and why I made the design decisions I did in the
refactoring/reimplementation.

David

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pluto 1.1 Seed Code

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.

--

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <we...@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>        *