Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/01 21:58:20 UTC

Re: migration to geronimo 2.2

On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:16 AM, brunoC wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a geronimo server version 2.1.3 and i'd like to move to Geronimo 2.2.
> Is there a way to extract Db_pool config from 2.1.3 as a xml and use
> deploy.sh  to deploy the db-pool to geronimo 2.2.

The plan used for deployment would be in the server's repository. For example, I created a database pool named Foo. The plan for the database pool is here -- repository/console/dbpool/Foo/1.0/Foo-1.0.car/META-INF/plan.xml

This plan could be used to deploy to a new server. You may need to update the dependency in the plan for the appropriate database driver/version...

You can also export a Geronimo plugin that could be used to install the pool into a new server. You'd also need to update the versions in the .car file (and also may include the tranql drivers, which might not be at the same version as the G 2.2 drivers).

--kevan

Re: migration to geronimo 2.2

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 1, 2010, at 4:08 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:16 AM, brunoC wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> I have a geronimo server version 2.1.3 and i'd like to move to Geronimo 2.2.
>>> Is there a way to extract Db_pool config from 2.1.3 as a xml and use
>>> deploy.sh  to deploy the db-pool to geronimo 2.2.
>>
>> The plan used for deployment would be in the server's repository. For example, I created a database pool named Foo. The plan for the database pool is here -- repository/console/dbpool/Foo/1.0/Foo-1.0.car/META-INF/plan.xml
>
> I hope I'm wrong but I think that saving the plan was a feature I implemented for 2.2.  IIRC the 2.1servers don't save your plan :-(

G 2.1.7-SNAPSHOT servers do save the plan (I didn't test 2.1.3).

>> This plan could be used to deploy to a new server. You may need to update the dependency in the plan for the appropriate database driver/version...
>>
>> You can also export a Geronimo plugin that could be used to install the pool into a new server. You'd also need to update the versions in the .car file (and also may include the tranql drivers, which might not be at the same version as the G 2.2 drivers).
>>

> I'm not sure if a 2.1 plugin is very likely to work in a 2.2 server.... again I hope it works better than I expect.

Yes. I meant to use some 'weasel' words about that... "You could try to export a Geronimo plugin which you might be able to get working with a 2.2 server, but not something we've tried..."

--kevan

Re: migration to geronimo 2.2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 1, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:16 AM, brunoC wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I have a geronimo server version 2.1.3 and i'd like to move to Geronimo 2.2.
>> Is there a way to extract Db_pool config from 2.1.3 as a xml and use
>> deploy.sh  to deploy the db-pool to geronimo 2.2.
>
> The plan used for deployment would be in the server's repository. For example, I created a database pool named Foo. The plan for the database pool is here -- repository/console/dbpool/Foo/1.0/Foo-1.0.car/META-INF/plan.xml

I hope I'm wrong but I think that saving the plan was a feature I implemented for 2.2.  IIRC the 2.1servers don't save your plan :-(

> This plan could be used to deploy to a new server. You may need to update the dependency in the plan for the appropriate database driver/version...
>
> You can also export a Geronimo plugin that could be used to install the pool into a new server. You'd also need to update the versions in the .car file (and also may include the tranql drivers, which might not be at the same version as the G 2.2 drivers).

I'm not sure if a 2.1 plugin is very likely to work in a 2.2 server.... again I hope it works better than I expect.

david jencks