Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Nishidha Panpaliya <ni...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/05/12 12:40:27 UTC

Fw: Impala tests and estimate

Hi All,

Could you please let me know the scope of Impala unit testing? I mean what
all tests should be executed and ensured. I saw BE, FE, EE, JDBC, Cluster
tests in run-all-tests.sh.
And a guess estimate of how much time each of these take to execute?

Thanks,
Nishidha
----- Forwarded by Nishidha Panpaliya/Austin/Contr/IBM on 05/12/2016 06:07
PM -----

From:	Nishidha Panpaliya/Austin/Contr/IBM
To:	dev@impala.incubator.apache.org
Cc:	"Jim Apple" <jb...@cloudera.com>, Manish
            Patil/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, Sudarshan
            Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, "Tim Armstrong"
            <ta...@cloudera.com>, Valencia
            Serrao/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
Date:	03/29/2016 06:59 PM
Subject:	Re: Impala tests and estimate

Just one more request.

We'll be thankful if we could also get to know the count of each of these
tests (for e.g. there are 71 backend tests).

Thanks,
Nishidha

From:	Nishidha Panpaliya/Austin/Contr/IBM
To:	dev@impala.incubator.apache.org, "Tim Armstrong"
            <ta...@cloudera.com>, "Jim Apple" <jb...@cloudera.com>
Cc:	Sudarshan Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, Manish
            Patil/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, Valencia
            Serrao/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
Date:	03/29/2016 10:05 AM
Subject:	Impala tests and estimate

Hi All,

I again need your help in understanding Impala tests to be run and ensured
and their estimates.

Last time, I know you had given way to run only backend tests and it was
helpful to us. I've also gone through run-all-tests.sh which triggers
backend test, frontend test, end-to-end tests, etc. Could you provide me
individual commands to run each of them and if any setup steps are
required? Also, I would like to know if there are any specific system
requirements that I must have up-front to run all these tests.

Along with these commands/scripts, I'm also interested in knowing how much
time each of these tests take to run, if we do not run into any issues.
This is required to know the guess estimate of how long will this activity
be taking from now.

Thanks in advance,
Nishidha

Re: Fw: Impala tests and estimate

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
The backend tests take 12 minutes. The frontend tests take 10 seconds. The
JDBC tests take 2 minutes. The custom cluster tests take 35 minutes. The
end-to-end tests take 3 hours.

That's in "core" mode. "exhaustive" mode quadruples the total time, IIRC,
and I'd guess that's all in the end-to-end tests, but I'm not sure.